Setting Rate on SPDIF Dongle?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Setting Rate on SPDIF Dongle?

Post by Drone » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:00 pm

So I bought a little dongle for my Delta 1010LT to give me an extra couple of channels to record on, it was billed as a 44.1/48/96KHz AD converter, which I chose because it had multi-rate and a non optical co-ax output which is all the 1010LT has.

However there's no mode switch on it, and it will only sync to the 1010LT at 48KHz.

Has anyone had a similar issue, is there some trick to getting it to switch, didn't come with any instructions, blast it.

The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:13 pm

Do you have a model #? What's located on the other side(s) that we can't see?

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:24 am

A couple of RCA jacks, and a 3,5mm jack for audio in.

It was ordered as a Lenkeng LKV something, doing some reverse research I think a 3089, and I'm wondering if they just transposed the ads for the 3088 and the 3089, the 3088 is a DA that supports multiple frequencies 32, 44.1, 48, 96 etc. it seems the 3089 AD is only a one trick, one rate pony. The advertised 96KHz may actually be referring the bitstream of a twin 48KHz input :cry:

Ah well for < $20 I've added a couple of extra inputs to my rig, albeit meaning I have to start running at 48KHz instead of 44.1KHz, which is a little annoying, but I suppose we got to move with the times.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:15 pm

Drone wrote:I'm wondering if they just transposed the ads for the 3088 and the 3089, the 3088 is a DA that supports multiple frequencies 32, 44.1, 48, 96 etc
Yep - Looks like a case of copy/paste specs. Amazon states the AD version is a 48K only box:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenkeng-LKV3089-D ... B00EYSDM2M

At least it was cheap ;)

You can probably find a used M-Audio Flying Cow (AD/DA with XLR I/O and Coax+AES digital I/O) for that same price on eBay - would probably be a lot better choice IMO. Even an old Apogee Rosetta 200 is likely down to a few hundred bucks these days! (actually closer to $400, just checked)...

Randy V.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:16 pm

Wow, I'm seeing them going for more than a second 1010LT.

Given the move from PCI to PCI-e and other bus based gear, I'd think a lot of the Delta range would be going obsolete real soon?

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:31 pm

The Flying Cow is a standlone AD/DA converter (don't believe it's part of the Delta line). But, yes, they do seem to be going for more than a used Delta 1010LT PCI card. I see Flying Cows on eBay from $35 on up (see one for $69 BIN in good condition).

If that M-Audio driver can run two Delta 1010's together, that might make more sense if your budget is very tight (and would double your I/O instead of just adding 2 channels).

PCI still has some life left IMO - not much, but some :) With the lower channel count cards like those, you can still run them on modern PC's that only use PCI-to-PCIe bridge chips these days ('native PCI' controllers are pretty much a thing of the past in current-gen mainstream PC's).

Randy V.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:41 pm

I'd actually have to check my PC to see if it has more than one PCI slot. I've had it 6 - 7 years now, I set it up with XP and took it off the network.

I think you can run more than one Delta together, and now I'm not using PT-M it shouldn't be an issue. If I see another 1010LT I may grab it, for now ten channels should cover me, I'll live with 48K for a while, put room mics on it or something until I'm sure it's OK.

Cheers :D