Trying to get an old OS on a new Mac

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

GussyLoveridge
gettin' sounds

Trying to get an old OS on a new Mac

Post by GussyLoveridge » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:49 am

Every day's a struggle.

I have a macbook pro running OSX 10.7.5 and Protools 9.

I just got a new iMac running Yosemite which won't work with PT9.

I want to partition the hard drive and run another bootable disc with OSX 10.7.5 on it.

I have partitioned the drive and have a bootable USB with OSX 10.7 on it - but I can't get it to install.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I would prefer not to upgrade protools at this time because I don't want to have to update the OS on my laptop. Everything is running perfectly on it and I don't want to have any down time.

It's a bummer that upgrading to PT11 would kill the license to use PT9.

I'm happy to entertain all suggestions.

Crabby in Canada,

Gus.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:16 am

The problem is your new iMac does not have a supported configuration profile builtin to that old version of Mac OS, in other words, you can't load an older OS than your system configuration because it won't see you as a genuine Apple system...unless you were able to do some tinkering under the hood (I don't know where you'd start). That's the way I understand it.

And your other Mac won't run Pro Tools 11 unless you update to at least 10.8.5.

I realize you don't want to do run PT11...I just did this update myself from 9...and I will say it is a good improvement especially performance wise...and they had upgrade incentives lately (don't know if still active) so that finally made me decide to do it. And it does suck that they take away your PT9 license, this was a problem for me too because I used it on an old system when I needed a mobile rig...but I was able to get PT11 loaded on my wife's lapfop instead.

Your other option would be to load a version of Windows that supports PT9 on your other partition instead...

GussyLoveridge
gettin' sounds

Post by GussyLoveridge » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:36 am

So the solution is a 4-track cassette recorder?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:03 am

GussyLoveridge wrote:So the solution is a 4-track cassette recorder?
Or I guess you could trade in your iMac for a 4 year old model that supports 10.7.5?

I'm just trying to help, unfortunately you're in a corner where you'll probably have to do something you don't want to do, unless I am missing something...I don't write the rules. I went through this same headache with my drummer and then with my own setup...is what it is, but I thought the improvements were worth the $250 I was out for the upgrade and new ilok.

I will say PT11 is written a lot better to take advantage of more memory and modern computing power..my aging almost 5 year old Mac Pro woke up and acted like a whole new system with PT11.

Maybe you can go to the "genius bar" at the Apple Store and they will be able to tell you something different? But I know word for word in Apple verbage when you install an OS it says not to attempt to install an OS that is older than your computer.

GussyLoveridge
gettin' sounds

Post by GussyLoveridge » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:06 am

Thanks so much. I am grateful for the advice and will likely dish the cash for the upgrade.

I'm sure that it's worth it - just hard to justify for a hobbiest like myself sometimes.

As always, I appreciate the advice and expertise.

-Gus.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:27 am

Yah it's not gonna get any less painful than the current upgrade price I'm afraid. And you have to buy a new ilok... And make sure your plugins are AAX...

But at least Mac OS upgrades are free...