Bring Back the AAA DDD standard -or- Vinyl is the new MP3

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:35 pm

JWL wrote:If analog is inherently superior to digital (or vice versa), then why do you need a label to tell you which one is which? Shouldn't you just be able to tell by listening?
Ha ha. Love it. I was gonna say, If you enjoy listening to an album then you enjoy it. I've been amazed over the years TOO many times where I'm interviewing someone and I find out what the process/gear used on an album is versus my listening experience or assumptions.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:34 am

JWL wrote:If analog is inherently superior to digital (or vice versa), then why do you need a label to tell you which one is which? Shouldn't you just be able to tell by listening?
Amen!
IanWalker wrote:I turned down working with a band once because they insisted on working on tape, and the only tape machines we had access too (and no budget to rent a good one) were crap. Honestly, they touted their first album as sounding awesome because it was "all done on tape!". It had been recorded on a cassette four track.
Insisting on a format as the method to choose a working relationship is to deny the people involved have any hand in the outcome. "Who cares what you've done and what you know and how we get along, this machine will definitely be the answer to all our problems." At least you got to turn them down, usually the story is that we were never considered for the job. Move on a few years, it's "do you have protools? No? Bye."
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Tue May 05, 2015 9:36 am

Concerning convenience,

I think vinyl is a pretty convenient home format, so is CD for that matter. The music is there in front of you. All you have to do is pop it in and go. I bet I can get Dark Side going on vinyl quicker than you can open itunes, dig it up, and find the appropriate cable to jack into the stereo (Well maybe not in the absolute quickest scenario where you're using your phone which is already powered on, and have the cable sitting right there ready to go, but it would be close. Portability is obviously another issue)

I can't tell you how many times I've forgone an impulse to listen to something that is only on my computer which needs to be plugged into my giant 2 TB hard drive and then the appropriate audio cable plugged in, and boot up itunes etc. and instead just thumbing through my records and picking something else because it's easier.

As of right now there isn't any way for me to streamline this process and still have access to all the full resolution files on the 2 TB drive. It take a long time, especially when you're cooking dinner you know? However, once I set it up, I can have shuffle on without repeating anything for over a month. So, there's that. . . .
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!