First mix from The Studio @ Space Acres

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

First mix from The Studio @ Space Acres

Post by mwerden » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:50 am

Got a lot of things cooking recently, hot off the stove is the first mix out of my new studio. Surftastic sounds of the Cameramen from NYC. Check it out on my website:

http://mattwerden.com/
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Post by IDQ » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:30 am

Cool track. I don't love the vocal style, but that is probably just personal preference. The instrumentation is interesting, pretty tightly performed, and nicely recorded.

The one thing that felt most "off" to me was that the guitars have a really nice sense of space while the bass, kick, and snare seem very dry. It gives it kinda a sense of hearing things from two different places. I'd like to hear either a little room mic or reverb to the drums, and possibly a bit of grit for the bass (was this done DI, maybe?), either from micing a smaller speaker or from hitting a colored compressor pretty hard and mixing that signal in.

Final suggestion - and I don't think I've ever said this before - I think the cymbals could actually come up a bit in the mix.

Good work.

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi IDQ, thanks for listening. This mix was kind of a "get to know my setup" thing so in that sense it worked really well.

Totally valid points on the drums and bass. Those were really decisions that I made while I was working. Kit has both room and verb, although not as much as the guitar. I kept rooms and overheads on the quiet side because of the bashy cymbal type of playing. Bass is both amp and DI in approximately equal parts, I think I ended up pegging the midrange boost on the EQ.

Thanks for your comments, glad to hear that there are no weird frequency ranges poking out or anything.
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com