RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Invalid URL for uploading avatar

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Tape Op Message Board (TOMB)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpencerMartin
gimme a little kick & snare

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Invalid URL for uploading avatar Reply with quote

I really wish that my first post was a deeply philosophical one about what it means to stay true to the music and honor the song and how nothing else really matters, but unfortunately it's not. Instead I have this really dumb question to offer:

Why won't my effing avatar upload??

My image file meets the filesize and dimension requirements, is uploaded to DropBox, etc., but I keep getting an "invalid URL" message. Which one of you forum gurus can point this novice in the right direction?

(Also, on a side note... I want to sound like Michael Jackson does on Thriller. What mic should I buy? Do I need Mogami GOLD cables or will the other ones be OK?)
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Invalid URL for uploading avatar Reply with quote

I think I remember Bruce Swedien saying he recording Michael Jackson with an SM7b, but I could be wrong.
SpencerMartin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Invalid URL for uploading avatar Reply with quote

I was totally kidding about that part! I really just need to sort out the avatar shenanigans so everyone can see how cute my mug is.

From what I recall hearing about the MJ vocal I believe you're right though - an SM7b with the foam and/or grill cover removed.
analogika
alignin' 24-trk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Invalid URL for uploading avatar Reply with quote

Of course, the real trick is that he started out sounding like Michael Jackson.
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Invalid URL for uploading avatar Reply with quote

My understanding is that you have to host your av somewhere else, and you put a normal "http://www...." style link to it in your profile. I stopped hosting mine out of my basement a little while ago, because it was getting an ungodly number of hits and I don't have much bandwidth.

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.
ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Invalid URL for uploading avatar Reply with quote

you can upload to photobucket or another hosting site for pics, copy that url, and it works just dandy.

just uploaded mine quickly with the direct link from photobucket. need to edit it though....

Latest Project: North Brother Island -Indigogo campaign for album release
Scodiddly
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Invalid URL for uploading avatar Reply with quote

ott0bot wrote:
you can upload to photobucket or another hosting site for pics, copy that url, and it works just dandy.

just uploaded mine quickly with the direct link from photobucket. need to edit it though....

Yeah, needs to be a *lot* smaller. Evil or Very Mad

No fooling - you upload a big image, it'll have to be downloaded on everybody's computer who looks at any of your replies. The webpage resizes it, but the whole damn thing still has to download. Do everybody a favor and make it something like 100x100 pixels to start with.
SpencerMartin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Invalid URL for uploading avatar Reply with quote

ott0bot wrote:

Man... I tried that literally 5 million times and kept getting an "invalid URL" message. I just tried it for the 5,000,001st time though and it worked! I realize that it's a pretty large image so I tried the same exact thing with a smaller version of the image and it's back to the error messages again... Weird.
ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Invalid URL for uploading avatar Reply with quote

Scodiddly wrote:
ott0bot wrote:

Yeah, needs to be a *lot* smaller. Evil or Very Mad

No fooling - you upload a big image, it'll have to be downloaded on everybody's computer who looks at any of your replies. The webpage resizes it, but the whole damn thing still has to download. Do everybody a favor and make it something like 100x100 pixels to start with.

ooops. sorry. doing this from an iPhone. can't find a photo editor that will change the # of pixels. will update it when I get home.

Latest Project: North Brother Island -Indigogo campaign for album release
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Invalid URL for uploading avatar Reply with quote

The uploader's not showing for me on firefox or safari. It says there's still an uploader, but is there? IS THERE? IS THERE?

rigsbysmith.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Tape Op Message Board (TOMB) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: