Invalid URL for uploading avatar

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

SpencerMartin
gimme a little kick & snare

Invalid URL for uploading avatar

Post by SpencerMartin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:45 am

I really wish that my first post was a deeply philosophical one about what it means to stay true to the music and honor the song and how nothing else really matters, but unfortunately it's not. Instead I have this really dumb question to offer:

Why won't my effing avatar upload??

My image file meets the filesize and dimension requirements, is uploaded to DropBox, etc., but I keep getting an "invalid URL" message. Which one of you forum gurus can point this novice in the right direction?

(Also, on a side note... I want to sound like Michael Jackson does on Thriller. What mic should I buy? Do I need Mogami GOLD cables or will the other ones be OK?)

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:39 am

I think I remember Bruce Swedien saying he recording Michael Jackson with an SM7b, but I could be wrong.

SpencerMartin

Post by SpencerMartin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:55 pm

I was totally kidding about that part! I really just need to sort out the avatar shenanigans so everyone can see how cute my mug is.

From what I recall hearing about the MJ vocal I believe you're right though - an SM7b with the foam and/or grill cover removed.

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:07 pm

Of course, the real trick is that he started out sounding like Michael Jackson.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:22 pm

My understanding is that you have to host your av somewhere else, and you put a normal "http://www...." style link to it in your profile. I stopped hosting mine out of my basement a little while ago, because it was getting an ungodly number of hits and I don't have much bandwidth.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:23 am

you can upload to photobucket or another hosting site for pics, copy that url, and it works just dandy.

just uploaded mine quickly with the direct link from photobucket. need to edit it though....

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:01 pm

ott0bot wrote:you can upload to photobucket or another hosting site for pics, copy that url, and it works just dandy.

just uploaded mine quickly with the direct link from photobucket. need to edit it though....
Yeah, needs to be a *lot* smaller. :evil:

No fooling - you upload a big image, it'll have to be downloaded on everybody's computer who looks at any of your replies. The webpage resizes it, but the whole damn thing still has to download. Do everybody a favor and make it something like 100x100 pixels to start with.

SpencerMartin

Post by SpencerMartin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:58 pm

ott0bot wrote:you can upload to photobucket or another hosting site for pics, copy that url, and it works just dandy.

Man... I tried that literally 5 million times and kept getting an "invalid URL" message. I just tried it for the 5,000,001st time though and it worked! I realize that it's a pretty large image so I tried the same exact thing with a smaller version of the image and it's back to the error messages again... Weird.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:26 pm

Scodiddly wrote:

Yeah, needs to be a *lot* smaller. :evil:

No fooling - you upload a big image, it'll have to be downloaded on everybody's computer who looks at any of your replies. The webpage resizes it, but the whole damn thing still has to download. Do everybody a favor and make it something like 100x100 pixels to start with.
ooops. sorry. doing this from an iPhone. can't find a photo editor that will change the # of pixels. will update it when I get home.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:29 am

The uploader's not showing for me on firefox or safari. It says there's still an uploader, but is there? IS THERE? IS THERE?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com