Monitoring multiple keyboards within a DAW

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Monitoring multiple keyboards within a DAW

Post by alex matson » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:12 pm

I have finally purchased a much newer computer and an Apollo Twin. I have three keyboards (Yamaha CP80, Korg SV-1 and Ace Tone organ) that I'd like to have hooked up at all times so that I can play and record without plugging in cables. Ideally I'd like to be able to experiment with various guitar pedals via an effects loop. I found an ART MX622 for around $150. 3 stereo inputs and a loop.

My question: is this a good way to do things? I don't plan to record multiple instruments simultaneously, I just want to avoid moving cables around constantly.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:43 am

You should probably move this to the recording techniques forum, if you can.

You'd probably be best served with a small tabletop mixer that has stereo inputs and effects sends. Something like the Mackie PROFX8 would give you everything you need and more. Plus extra inputs for any gear you add down the line.

Another route would be to get a 1/4" patchbay, and do all your routing there.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:08 am

I think you're on the right track. This set-up looks like it should work for a lightweight, on-the-go capture situation. I worked this way for years, using an H2, or whatever else came to hand.

The only consideration is making sure you pull your other inputs down so you're not accidentally capturing noise.

Andrew707
takin' a dinner break

Post by Andrew707 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:19 pm

Personally I use a small mixer for this. You could definitely monitor through your computer, but then you have to turn it on anytime you want to monitor your keyboards, right?