Is It Bad To Sound Different?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Is It Bad To Sound Different?

Post by Drone » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:06 am

I don't mean in the sense of this band sounds unique, I'm talking more of a this sounds different depending on what you play it back on.

I have a variety of different playback systems, both connected to my studio computer and in general.I tend to mix using a couple of different sets of headphones, and a pair of giant loudspeakers. I've noticed that listening back to them in different locations, my mixes tend to sound more different, than that of other peoples CD's.

I kind of like the fact that they sound different, dependent on the playback system, but should I be going for more consistency?

I also note that my mixes are an awful lot quieter than most commercial releases, I just can't push them without them sounding disagreeable to me (yes I use compression, a bit).
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:50 am

I think this is one for the mavens of mastering to answer!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:39 am

mixes are invariably gonna sound a little different depending on what you're listening on....most obvious example would be: you're not going to get the same low end response out of a tiny pair of bookshelf speakers that you do out of some big stupid frat boy speakers....and this will change your perception of the mix...you'll focus more on the midrange elements, on the little speakers, as they are now more prominent....

BUT....your mixes should really "sound like themselves" on whatever you listen to. the balance, and the overall intent of the mixes should be the same. so for example, while the bass might not be as booming on little speakers as on big ones, you should still be able to hear it.

what sort of differences do you notice in your mixes from one playback system to another?

as far as loudness, well yeah....a good mastering engineer will get your stuff reasonably loud with a minimum of damage to the mixes. or unreasonably loud if that's what you want! note that perceived loudness has as much (or more) to do with eq as compression/limiting. it has a lot to do with arrangement/tracking and mix too....

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:26 pm

I like to bury vocals, like really bury them. Certain things, like crappy iPads inbuilt speakers, you can hear the vocal above all else, maybe this is more a symptom of iPads than it is of mixing?
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:45 pm

hhhmmm yeah i wouldn't necessarily put a whole lot of stock in how it sounds over tiny ipad/laptop speakers.

really buried vocals are annoying though!

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:47 pm

Not if you hear me singing :D

Actually vocals is kind of pushing it, more noises from mouth. I'm not a screamer or a growler or anything, there's no cohesive 'vocal' really.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:58 pm

i suppose for a guy going by "drone", buried vocals are ok.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:05 pm

:D

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:55 pm

Drone wrote:I like to bury vocals, like really bury them. Certain things, like crappy iPads inbuilt speakers, you can hear the vocal above all else, maybe this is more a symptom of iPads than it is of mixing?
Certain speakers are prized for this quality, what is to say, bringing forward or emphasizing the midrange for concentrating there for editing, mixing, etc. You may have heard of Auratones ...

I would guess the iPad speakers work that way if only due to size, but also mebbe to help clarify speech?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:45 am

An artifact primarily of the brain, i.e., that we evolved to hear the human voice range (mids) better than highs and lows..from there the design of a compact speaker is based off that to some extent..

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:59 am

You need to get a pair of studio monitors. Seriously.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on them, but studio monitors are designed to make you hear everything as compared to home stereo speakers, which are designed to make everything sound good. Picking up a cheap pair of monitors will make your ears go "wow" - you'll be able to easily hear most everything that's wrong with your mixes.

I had the same problem. For years, I used good stereo speakers in my home studio. Then I bought a cheap pair of m-audio studio monitors and I was floored by how much garbage I could hear in everything - not just my music, but my favorite albums as well. And these monitors were dirt cheap (I traded up shortly afterwards).

I'm not going to suggest particular monitors to you (a lot of times it'll be up to your personal preference), but anything you could find at Sweetwater or any other music retailer will do fine.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:41 pm

tjcasey1 wrote:studio monitors are designed to make you hear everything as compared to home stereo speakers, which are designed to make everything sound good.
I'd just like to point out that as a generalization, this isn't exactly true. Yamaha NS10s, B&W 805s, and ProAc 1000s have all become studio standard reference monitors AFTER being released as good home hi-fi speakers. Good speakers are good speakers. True, you don't want something super-hypey and you don't want to fool yourself by getting something that doesn't translate well, but I've heard plenty of "home stereo speakers" that that translate WAY BETTER than some things marketed as "studio monitors."

Not trying to be argumentative. Just making a point.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:27 am

not to mention the B&W's, etc. many people master on..

also

saying hearing EVERYTHING in context of most loudspeakers marketed as studio monitors is not exactly correct either most seem to bottom out at around 50Hz on average for example..among the many other factors that alter neutrality even in the context of themselves minus any effects of the room they're positioned and played in..

That said..I do think tjcasey1 makes a good suggestion in a general way recommending looking at "studio monitors"

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:34 am

here's a bunch of info on translation

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+ma ... 8&oe=utf-8

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:18 am

cgarges wrote:
tjcasey1 wrote:studio monitors are designed to make you hear everything as compared to home stereo speakers, which are designed to make everything sound good.
I'd just like to point out that as a generalization, this isn't exactly true. Yamaha NS10s, B&W 805s, and ProAc 1000s have all become studio standard reference monitors AFTER being released as good home hi-fi speakers. Good speakers are good speakers. True, you don't want something super-hypey and you don't want to fool yourself by getting something that doesn't translate well, but I've heard plenty of "home stereo speakers" that that translate WAY BETTER than some things marketed as "studio monitors."

Not trying to be argumentative. Just making a point.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Good stereo speakers should have wide dispersion; studio monitors should have tight focus. If there are crossover speakers that do well in both settings, more power to them. But I can't see how they'd be excellent speakers in both situations.

And don't worry - I know you're not arguing.