Help with building a balanced mult.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sirdss
audio school

Help with building a balanced mult.

Post by sirdss » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi

I'm looking to make a 3>1 balanced mult. And I'm wondering if it's as simple as wiring up the 3 tip/ring to the 1 tip/ring and grounding everything together. Or will I need to use resistors after the tip/rings?

I'm looking to be able to send a few tracks into my DBX 160VU to glue some elements together...kick+snare, kick+bass, snare+claps etc...

I think it could sound better than just summing things in logic through my Apogee Ensemble...also have the flexibility of tracking like this too.

Thanks for the help!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:28 pm

No resistors needed. Tip to all tips, sleeve to all sleeves, ground to all grounds.
BUT....keep in mind that mults are best suited to splitting signals (one out to multiple ins) not combining signals (multiple outs to one in). Do the summing ITB or on a mixer.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:52 pm

You're not describing a mult (one in, many out), you're describing a mixer (many in, one out). Tying multiple outputs together is a risky proposition - some gear won't mind it, and some might be very unhappy about it.

Try this:

Get 6 10K resistors.

Make 2 "Y"s out of them.

Take the first Y, and solder the ends of the legs to the tips of the inputs. Solder the center to the tip of the output.

Take the second Y, and solder the ends of the legs to the rings of the inputs. Solder the center to the ring of the output.

You'll lose 10 dB on each signal, because a passive mixer is also an attenuator.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."