Electro-Voice V2 on Vocals for Neo Soul

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Acsii
audio school graduate

Electro-Voice V2 on Vocals for Neo Soul

Post by Acsii » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:22 am

In a couple of weeks I have a session working with a Neo Soul group who are looking at recording to tape and also want a vintage sound. The studio has an Electro-Voice V2 that I am considering using on vocals. My question is will this sound good for the genre, and if so what other processing will I need to make it fit perfectly.
Cheers Nez
Nez Pender
Kalium Puls
http://wp.ultrazoidsshed.com

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:40 am

The V2 is a cool mic, but it's not high-fidelity compared to other ribbon mics, including others from the same time period. For backing vocals, that's probably fine, but I wouldn't use it on its own for lead vocals. If there's not a higher quality ribbon available, I'd combine it with a good LDC and mix the V2 in as a kind of seasoning. That way you'll have more control over it.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:25 am

If they're definition of vintage includes some older soul recordings that aren't as high-fi, I might consider a dynamic on the vocals. Maybe an RE10 or something like that, and then play with some subtle overdriven saturation that responds to the vocal dynamics in the mix stage.

But I guess it depends if they're going for something like class era Curtis Mayfield, or something a little older/ grittier/ lo fi.

You can always set up two vocal mics for tracking and make a decision later, the trick is to find the winner and get rid of the other without too much tail chasing. But maybe that's not as handy on tape where every track counts.

Acsii
audio school graduate

Post by Acsii » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:49 pm

Thought I'd post an update, I've decided to pair the V2 with a U87. Thanks for all the help.
Also on note of 'grit' would maybe running the vocal mics through some distressors pre-tape be worth it, or should I just keep the pre-tape 'clean'.
Nez Pender
Kalium Puls

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:58 am

Acsii wrote:Thought I'd post an update, I've decided to pair the V2 with a U87. Thanks for all the help.
Also on note of 'grit' would maybe running the vocal mics through some distressors pre-tape be worth it, or should I just keep the pre-tape 'clean'.
I think the most indicidive feature of soul is the overdrive achieved when things get loud. Usually it's an overdriven preamp or sometimes a series of preamps and some heavy compression from something like a stay level or Fairchild. I use the gain on my Sound Workshop 242a reverb with the verb almost off for things like this. it really screams when you push it.

A distressor could get you there pre or post tape. The only advantage I can see with doing it pre-tape, is that the singer can perform to the distortion. Worst case send it to an aux or mult it on a patch bay and record one dry and and one effected.

Acsii
audio school graduate

Post by Acsii » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:05 am

Isn't it amazing when you receive the demos from the band and they're not actually neo Soul, more indie Rock. So basically the whole session plan changed, at least I have a week until the session to get everything sorted, and it's more in a genre I'm familiar with.
Nez Pender
Kalium Puls

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:03 am

Reading this, I am put in mind of the latest Alabama Shakes record ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.