Impedance Matching Tascam 238

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kbucks
audio school graduate

Impedance Matching Tascam 238

Post by kbucks » Fri May 18, 2018 9:36 am

Hello,
I've got a tascam 238 coming my way. I'll be using an Allen and Heath mixwiz16...mainly the aux sends and a couple direct outs to feed the tape machine. Does anyone have any experience with the 238 regarding matching input/output impedance? They are -10dbv.
Thanks
K

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: Impedance Matching Tascam 238

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am

I'm sure one or more of our technically erudite posters will chime in if I am incorrect, and I don't specifically have a 238, so take this next bit with a pinch of salt. But I have a studio full of pro, prosumer, and consumer gear all interfacing. It's usually not that big of a deal (more gain needed? = turn it up). But if you do want to match various "line levels," (as you've noted there are more than one!), you could go whole-hog for something like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gKV8fD_BwE

I do not have the rackmount version, but I do have a couple of the small boxes for live work and they have pulled me out of a few sticky situations, they work well and are pretty bulletproof, so it might be worth a look-see.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Impedance Matching Tascam 238

Post by kslight » Fri May 18, 2018 1:17 pm

I sold my 238, but having owned most of those old Tascams, it’s not a big deal.