Electric bass recording '15

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon May 18, 2015 4:33 pm

the big trick w attenuators is psychological.

Most people start with their amp wide open then start clicking the attenuator down.
That is never satisfying.

Start with the attenuator clamped way down then open it up a little.

mrpicholas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mrpicholas » Mon May 18, 2015 4:59 pm

I don't want to be pilloried here, but I am primarily a bassist (with all sorts of amps and preamps), and for the last couple years have been running through a Black Lion BLA73 and then use IK's Amplitube (generally either the Ampeg SVX plugs or Bass Player's bundle) to get an "amp in a room" sound.

I've worked out a couple useable settings for my fretless, and a handful for my fretted, and I just treat it like an amp. I've got a Kore2 MIDI controller that I'll use to tweak the virtual knobs like a real amp until it works with the track.

I've yet to mic up or run direct with an amp and get a "better" or more useable sound.

soundsofcallado
studio intern

Post by soundsofcallado » Tue May 19, 2015 7:51 am

Sound is a disturbance in air pressure.

You don't mic the cab you don't get the sound.

DI is good to have as a backup.
Thank you.

sweetsoundsrecords.bandcamp.com
lucystoner.bandcamp.com
oceanray.bandcamp.com

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Tue May 19, 2015 10:30 am

soundsofcallado wrote:Sound is a disturbance in air pressure.

But sound recording is electrical impulses, stored to later agitate the air. There's no law says you can't store the impulses without agitating the air first.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 20, 2015 1:34 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
drumsound wrote: I also feel like (and maybe I'm wrong) that I can do more to the sound with a DI.
Ah, but maybe that's my point. I don't know if I want to do more with the sound. It takes me so long to get the DI where I want it to be sonically and then I still end up tempted to fuck with it later. If I put a mic on a bass amp that is sounding great in the room I can forget about it and move on to other decisions. DI'ing always makes me feel like I'm postponing the decision making till later.
I go for a great tone on the DI with good compression, and can often not do a lot of treatment. But, after you've added a bunch of things that weren't there during the basics, sometimes more alterations is necessary...

soundsofcallado
studio intern

Post by soundsofcallado » Wed May 20, 2015 7:48 am

Drone wrote:
soundsofcallado wrote:Sound is a disturbance in air pressure.

But sound recording is electrical impulses, stored to later agitate the air. There's no law says you can't store the impulses without agitating the air first.
No disagreement here, however, I'm talking about recording a sound to be stored. You're talking about reproducing an already stored sound.

When I hear the reproduced sound of a band (the stored electrical signal), I'd like to hear the band best I could not their DI boxes. That's all I'm saying.
Thank you.

sweetsoundsrecords.bandcamp.com
lucystoner.bandcamp.com
oceanray.bandcamp.com

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu May 21, 2015 6:36 am

Basses are a much maligned instrument, ask any bass player :mrgreen:

But that would be verging into how much studio magic do you want/need? If you go see a band live, it's pretty likely the bass has been DI'd there too, so the argument could be what is the 'real' bass sound?

And again, depends on the band / player / instrument / amp etc., Eg, you wouldn't record Carol Kaye the same way you'd record Les Claypool.

But more likely this all stems from my compulsive need to argue against all subjective blanket statements :mrgreen:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu May 21, 2015 8:00 am

But, it's a fact that not all blanket statements are all subjective.
:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu May 21, 2015 10:48 am

bassist here.

69 fender jazz bass, flatwounds, vintage fender bassman head and 1x15 cab, electro voice re20

not a DI fan here, used to be until i heard how much better amp'd up sounds.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu May 21, 2015 3:40 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:DI always sounds clicky with way too much high end, crazy dynamic spikes and an over all gross tone.
weird. this is like the opposite of my DI impressions. maybe this is the case if you're playing with a pick? i'm using fingers 99.672% of the time.

for me, i feel like i'm usually boosting high end and/or cutting lows. if i reamp it, the amp sound is almost always brighter than the DI, which is what i like, as it helps the bass cut more.

crazy dynamic spikes is just bad playing. i've recorded really good bassists direct, and the tracks sit perfectly in the mix with no compression. most people aren't that good, i'm certainly not, but it's doable for sure.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu May 21, 2015 3:53 pm

One of my old bass playing buddies liked running direct into a compressor with really obvious metering - an LA2A or 1176 being the first choice.

Even with no gain reduction, he claimed he could watch the meter, and tailor his playing to keep his dynamics in line.

Always sounded great to me...but he was an exceptional talent, as well.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Fri May 22, 2015 1:18 am

Just recorded bass through my Ampeg Gemini for the first time. Sounded absolutely killer. Also had a good ole countryman DI which sounded like it should. Haven't done the mixes yet, so I don't know what'll get used.

I've had situations where I favored the DI and others where I favored the amp. Usually the amp takes center stage when the bass or the player ain't so good. Just sayin...
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun May 24, 2015 10:05 am

The Scum wrote:One of my old bass playing buddies liked running direct into a compressor with really obvious metering - an LA2A or 1176 being the first choice.

Even with no gain reduction, he claimed he could watch the meter, and tailor his playing to keep his dynamics in line.

I remember reading Jim O'Rourke talking about playing bass on the Beth Orton record he did. I think he had a similar approach- to try and subtract the need for compression as he played it. Most guys can't do that, but he sure could.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Tue May 26, 2015 5:27 am

The Scum wrote:One of my old bass playing buddies liked running direct into a compressor with really obvious metering - an LA2A or 1176 being the first choice.

If he had an Ashdown, he'd have the VU meter on his bass all the time.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:19 am

For a while, I was practicing bass that way. Just to get the feel in my fingers. I haven't been playing bass lately, but want to get back into it, maybe I need to do that again.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.