RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Ways of adding mass
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Making A Space
View previous topic :: View next topic  
losthighway
carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ways of adding mass Reply with quote

Oh maybe I misunderstood what he meant. I was visualizing room within a room, with the studs between the two frames alternating, if you're doing 16" on center then the studs from wall number 2 face the center of the gap between the studs on wall number 1. Sort of as a theoretical way to further isolate the two assemblies so that the load bearing parts of the wall, the studs, are furthest apart.

Might be overthinking it, but seems reasonable.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Furnace-Room/292960857423152
norton
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ways of adding mass Reply with quote

You'll get better results with light gauge steel studs, and just going with a separate internal wall and an external wall. Better isolation than a staggered stud on a common plate and better performance in the low end than wood period.
losthighway
carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ways of adding mass Reply with quote

I am using a two leaf approach. Two separate walls inches apart each on their own plate. I think budget has wooden framing in the cards as opposed to metal but I'll check it out with my guy.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Furnace-Room/292960857423152
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Making A Space All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: