1/4" switching jack question for direct outs...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pandemic
pushin' record

1/4" switching jack question for direct outs...

Post by pandemic » Mon May 25, 2015 12:44 pm

so I finally fired up the solder gun in an attempt to do a direct out mod to my Yamaha M406. I ordered switching mono jacks so I could keep the channels in the mixbus until I inserted a cable for the direct out. I soldered my first on in to make sure it's going to work and I do get the direct signal but it does not break the connection to the mixbus. When I unsoldered the leg of the jack that should break that connection the signal disappears from said mixbus..
soooo did I buy bad jacks? I figured that when the jack had no inserted cable the little tab made the connection and when a cable was inserted that connection was broken... Helllp!!
Good Luck At Any Cost

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon May 25, 2015 6:24 pm

I think it's unlikely that the jacks are bad...but there's a slim possibility. What jacks did you get?

It's more likely that they're not correctly installed.

Can you give us a more detailed description of how you wired them in? What connected to what?

Do you have a schematic? In 3 minutes of googling, I haven't turned any up...it would really help foster the conversation if you had one to share.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Thu May 28, 2015 6:21 am

I doubt it's a bad jack as well.... just does not make any sense. Unfortunately I do not have a schematic. I am going off instructions found on the web (ditch road records) and the way they did it does work, tapping the signal and removing it from the mix bus. As far as the jacks.... well, I have wired them both ways. The mod call for removing a jumper (post fade/eq on the board) and tapping the signal from there at the solder hole closest to the edge. This mod works and the signal is gone from the mix bus and available at the jack. I thought using a switching jack where the shunt closes that original circuit, would make the signal available in the mix bus until a cable was inserted. I have tried wiring the jack in both ways.. I may have chosen a bad place to ground that jack now that I think about it... I will try a different ground location today and let you all know.. maybe with some pics too!!
Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:56 am

bad jacks...... continuity tester shows the tip and the tip jumper are still connected when a cable is inserted. Junk jacks...I'll post the seller so no one else makes the same mistake.
Good Luck At Any Cost