Need to extend cable

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tape7500
audio school

Need to extend cable

Post by tape7500 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:09 pm

I need to extend some Belden cable from about 20ft to 30ft, its a hassle to solder new cables on to the patch bay. Is it generally ok to extend the cables by soldering a male and a female XLR jack at the extension point. All signals are line level.

Does it make any sense to get a higher quality cable than Belden for the cable that carries the vocal, the cable is post preamp so the signal is line level?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:51 am

If this was a spacecraft, I'd recommend soldering in a proper-length cable. But for home recording, you'll be fine to extend it by soldering jacks on. If you can tell any difference, something's probably wrong.
Does it make any sense to get a higher quality cable than Belden for the cable that carries the vocal, the cable is post preamp so the signal is line level?
Why the vocals and not the kick drum? Or the tambourine overdubs?

If you're finding that Belden (who make a lot of different types of cable - some more suited to audio wirk than others) isn't meeting your needs, then rip & replace it. It sounds like a good experiment to observe the effects of confirmation bias firsthand.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

tape7500
audio school

Post by tape7500 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Not a spacecraft, so I'll use the jacks :)