"Digital interference" within a plugin need advice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:26 pm

So does this happen with a single instance of the plugin?

I could see how multiple instances of a poorly coded plugin could mess with each other.

Does it happen at all sample rates? If so, are the generated tones the same at all sample rates?

That it generates tones could indicate that the DSP filters are unstable...the most common DSP filter topology is only stable up to 1/4 the sampling frequency, so working at 96 might have some additional advantage.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:38 pm

Often I will have a few instances going, and each of them will individually go crazy (not at the same time necessarily).

The only sample rate I use is 24/96, I have not tested others because I must deliver my projects at 96. The tones that it generates are variable and random, in my examples, it does not specifically emit one tone, or even the same type of noise, it appears "random".

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:23 pm

Today I took one session and removed all instances of the T Racks CS environment, and re-added the same processors back as individual plugin inserts within the Pro Tools Mix window.

The problem still occurred.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:59 am

I agree with the Scum -- I think you're an atypical user for IK who seem to be aiming much more at the home studio guitarist recording at 44/48 with a single or maybe two instances. I would also be interested to know what the variables are in terms of how many instances of the plugin causes the behavior to happen.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:19 am

apropos of nothing wrote:I agree with the Scum -- I think you're an atypical user for IK who seem to be aiming much more at the home studio guitarist recording at 44/48 with a single or maybe two instances. I would also be interested to know what the variables are in terms of how many instances of the plugin causes the behavior to happen.
I don't really agree with that,, I don't think home studio guitarists care about any of the plugins or features in the T Racks environment...outside of this one plugins glitchy issues I really like the sound and functionality of these emulations and the environment...as always IMHO. I don't understand why some feel the need to knock something they've probably never used. It's the same people that make Amplitube, and I always thought that was one of the better soft amp sims..

T Racks started as a mastering suite, which is how I started using it, then they kept adding emulations to it. I get good results with it in conjunction with Waves, better so than I've gotten with other manufacturers.. I'm no pro mastering engineer, but I do some serious work out of my studio..

The session that I changed out the environment for the solo plugins with I believe had about 5 or 6 instances of the EQ73 total....it's not like I'm putting it on everything.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:03 am

So, as en experiment, try a single instance, and report back.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi kslight,

This is what you have to do :

1. Make SURE you indeed are running the right version of Pro Tools and Mac OS. CRUCIAL. Then, delete all your Pro Tools preferences files. Under :

Macintosh HD / User / Library / Preferences /

and / or

Macintosh HD / Library / Preferences /

These files are to be deleted, they get rebuilt when Pro Tools starts up:

- com.digidesign.ProTools.plist
- com.avid.ProTools.plist
- DAE Prefs folder
- DigiSetup.OSX
- Pro Tools Prefs

2. Make SURE you indeed have the right version of the IK plug in installed.

3. Run something like ONYX, to force operating system maintenance, after you have verified / installed the right versions of things. You'd be surprised how glitchy shit gets if you don't force maintenance on a Mac Intel Operating system. LOL.

4. Try to use a new / clean audio hard drive, and do your testing by running your Pro Tools as you normally would, and only instantiate one plug in on one track. Write down EXACTLY what happens. i.e. how much time passes before the plug in starts acting up. Does it act up if you instantiate it and never press play? Does it go wonky only when audio is playing back? Is the noise happening all the time once it starts? Or does it stop / start with pressing play?

5. Write down your Pro Tools settings for your normal sessions. Internal sync? Sample rate / bit depth? Is your audio interface also in the same sample rate? MIDI Time Code / SMPTE code enabled / disabled? Any control surfaces?

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.