Running my mix through 2 compressors. ELI5 please

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sammigz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Sammigz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:52 am

Thanks everyone for all the useful info!

I've been playing a lot around with it. And found that my chassis [the API 8-slot] has switches in the back where I can link 2 channels.

So far I've been experimenting running it through both ways. Not linked, each channel on its own and set the comps to compress the same amount. Sounded pretty good.
On this particular track though, with them linked, it sounded better I think. VERY hard to tell the difference but it was there. Neither sounded BAD, but I think the linked channels would take it. Sounded a little more together or 'uniformed' if you will.

Whats kind of odd is they still set independently. I would expect changing the 1st compressors settings would obviously affect the 2nd. But not the case. Guess there's still more to figure out here.. But I'm learning.

I actually am using the pipeline plug-in now on Studio One to route my MAIN through the compressors, but I get this awful digital feedback noise when I try to raise any trims. If I keep everything nice and low [trims all the way down... input about -20db] you can't hear it. Then I raise the actual waveform of recorded signal about 12db and it sounds ok. But I know this is not right. Possible buffersize issue I'm thinking.
STILL A LONG WAY TO GO!
HP s5-1110, Windows 7, Intel core i5-2500k CPU@303GHz, 8GB, 64 bit OS-
StudioOne Pro 2.6, Tascam FW1884 & FE8, Focusrite MKII Dynamic, Presonus Monitor Station, Oxygen49-
M-Audio BX5a's, Equator D8's, Audio-Technica ATH-M50's-

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:13 am

ott0bot wrote: it better be some Tchad Blake shit or I'm quitting.
:D

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Sammigz wrote:Thanks everyone for all the useful info!

I've been playing a lot around with it. And found that my chassis [the API 8-slot] has switches in the back where I can link 2 channels.

Whats kind of odd is they still set independently. I would expect changing the 1st compressors settings would obviously affect the 2nd. But not the case. Guess there's still more to figure out here.. But I'm learning.
Normally an actually linked pair of comps will make one unit the master or the unit with the higher settings will default the other unit to the same settings. What you are doing is not a true link, because it's not likely the link on the API chassis would activate and internal link on the actual hardware. Some 500 series comps have a jumper you can put on so they can link for 500 series, but the unit has to still have a link built in to the hardware. I think the link in the API unit just pushes the 2nd and 1st module into the same output to avoid having to use a patch bay or console to use the two units together.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:38 pm

I think there are two issues at play here, possibly getting confused.

The OP also posted a thread asking about the "link" switches on the 8-slot API lunchbox. Those switches let you set up adjacent slots in series...if you patch into slot 1, then set the switch, you can then patch out of slot 2. The modules will be in series.

http://apiaudio.com/docs/files/block_di ... _lunch.pdf

Some lunchbox modules allow you to use another connection on the backplane for stereo linking. It might require soldering a jumper into the backplane of the lunchbox, though it looks like those jumpers are already in place on the 8-slot API box (see the note at the lower left in the prior PDF). Some newer manufacturers (like Radial) are putting it on a switch, also.

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/how-to ... -lunchbox/

But if the DBX 560's use pin 6 for stereo linking, it's not indicated anywhere in their documentation.

http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_docume ... iginal.pdf

-----

If you've got the API 8-slot box, when you set the input routing switch, you're taking the output of the first module, and sending it into the second. For a stereo mix, the one side (say, the left) gets squashed by the first compressor. The other input (the right) is completely discarded, and replaced with a copy of the other channel, which has been compressed even more.

So if it sounds more "uniformed," it's because it's been double-compressed.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Sammigz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Sammigz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:14 am

The Scum wrote:I think there are two issues at play here, possibly getting confused.

The OP also posted a thread asking about the "link" switches on the 8-slot API lunchbox. Those switches let you set up adjacent slots in series...if you patch into slot 1, then set the switch, you can then patch out of slot 2. The modules will be in series.

http://apiaudio.com/docs/files/block_di ... _lunch.pdf

Some lunchbox modules allow you to use another connection on the backplane for stereo linking. It might require soldering a jumper into the backplane of the lunchbox, though it looks like those jumpers are already in place on the 8-slot API box (see the note at the lower left in the prior PDF). Some newer manufacturers (like Radial) are putting it on a switch, also.

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/how-to ... -lunchbox/

But if the DBX 560's use pin 6 for stereo linking, it's not indicated anywhere in their documentation.

http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_docume ... iginal.pdf

-----

If you've got the API 8-slot box, when you set the input routing switch, you're taking the output of the first module, and sending it into the second. For a stereo mix, the one side (say, the left) gets squashed by the first compressor. The other input (the right) is completely discarded, and replaced with a copy of the other channel, which has been compressed even more.

So if it sounds more "uniformed," it's because it's been double-compressed.

Excellent, thank you. This makes a lot of sense. I kind of thought I was just double compressing the signal when I saw they still set independently of each other.... bummer.

Looks like I'll have to find out which pin the 560's use for stereo linking. It also says- "Note that this will not allow you to create a ?stereo? module out of two devices that are not already built to accept stereo control". How do I know the 560's are in fact built to accept stereo control?
Also, if I solder in the jumper wire, does this mean I will ONLY be able to use them in stereo? I would have to remove the jumper wire to have mono control again?
StudioOne Pro 2.6, Tascam FW1884 & FE8, Focusrite MKII Dynamic, Presonus Monitor Station, Oxygen49-

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:38 pm

Given that their manual makes zero mention of it, I'm not sure the 560A can be linked.

It might be worth a call/email to DBX to confirm.
"What fer?"

Sammigz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Sammigz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:57 pm

The Scum wrote:Given that their manual makes zero mention of it, I'm not sure the 560A can be linked.

It might be worth a call/email to DBX to confirm.
Just got word back from DBX... Not designed for stereo operation :? Guess I'm stuck.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:18 pm

Wrapping them with MS decoders on the way out & back in will still work. They don't need to be linked. Once compressor effects the center of the image, and the other effects both sides together.

To my ear, I prefer MS encoded/decoded compression on the master bus over most regular stereo compressors.

I don't know what plugin types you can run, but there are free MS decoder/encoders out there, like this one from Voxengo:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/
"What fer?"

Sammigz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Sammigz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:20 am

The Scum wrote:Wrapping them with MS decoders on the way out & back in will still work. They don't need to be linked. Once compressor effects the center of the image, and the other effects both sides together.

To my ear, I prefer MS encoded/decoded compression on the master bus over most regular stereo compressors.

I don't know what plugin types you can run, but there are free MS decoder/encoders out there, like this one from Voxengo:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/
Wow, awesome. That's new territory to me. I'm reading up on it now and will definitely be trying this ASAP.
THANKS BIG TIME MAN!