CMV563 vs 19a19

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vetter
audio school graduate

CMV563 vs 19a19

Post by vetter » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:44 am

Hi all

I have the opportunity to buy one or the other. The CMV comes with a revised M7 (Thiersh) and its M55k, original PSU and electronics (not modded apprently). The 19a19 is the kind with a very large capsule (CK12 like in the shape) 6S31B tube it has been checked entirely by Drefahl (the mic and PSU) it has the tube rectified PSU.

I'm looking to close the mic locker with a big old tube mic for vocals mainly (and sources which need to sound beautiful and with character/personality/color).

The CMV is now 2500? (which I think is overpriced for the moment)
The 19a19 is 1600? (pretty honest in fact)

I know it's hard to have an opinion without hearing those specific units but generally speaking what are your experiences with both those mics? What would be your choice ignoring the price, would you change your mind regarding how much the cmv costs? Any prefered source for one or the other...?

Thank you
Overhead sucks, put that in front .....

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:38 pm

Paging Chris Garges...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:17 am

The 19a19 is the most common of the Lomos and it's the one that I don't have. In fact, I've never used one, so I don't have an informed opinion about what they really sound like.

I will say that I do have a pair of CMV563s with M7 capsules and they are absolutely stellar mics. They win many vocal mic shootouts and almost all vocal mic shootouts with other M7-type mics (the Lomo 19a13 occasionally beats it out for a little bit more "oomph" and the Lawson L47FET often wins when I need that sound without the tube compliment). It's not a substitute for a real, well-cared-for U47, but it does a similar thing, in terms of overall character and forward placement.

I don't have an M55k, but I've been on the hunt for a pair of similar age and condition for some time now.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC