smoking PM-1000 resistors (you know, for fun)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

R-Diggital
audio school

smoking PM-1000 resistors (you know, for fun)

Post by R-Diggital » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi all,

I've been slowly working on my first PM-1000 project and got both of the channels I bought recapped. The first one worked beautifully when I hooked it up and tested it, I recorded signal and all, very low noise, I can tell it will sound good.

The second one- when I flipped the switch on one of the resisters went orange and started smoking. I know my power supply is giving 44 volts, and none of the caps blew or anything. I will double check to make sure I didn't put one of the electrolytic in backwards or something, but I don't even know if that would cause one of the resistors to fry. I took a picture so maybe one of you awesome gurus would know which one and maybe what might cause it. Any help is appreciated. I am just happy that I have one working one!

Here's a pic... it's the one that's right in the middle of the pic... that's totally fried.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-VYBC ... sp=sharing

R-Diggital
audio school

Post by R-Diggital » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:27 pm

upon taking a second look, I see I have my C6 flipped around backwards. I know I'll need to fix that, should I replace both it and the resistor? Anyone who can confirm for me that the schematic looks like C6 goes to R14 (I'm guessing that's the one I smoked), it looks to me like it's an 8.2 k-ohm? The scan of the schematic isn't the best.

I'm surprised that's the only complete NOOB mistake I've made so far. knock on wood.

Thanks again for any help!!

R-Diggital
audio school

Post by R-Diggital » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:41 pm

Mmmmkay, I have identified the resistor as being the 22 ohm one and found a spare that I will use to replace it. I hope I didn't mess up the transistor between the two, but I guess that would be a good opportunity to replace them all.

I was going off of digitaldrummer.net and the transistor he used is no longer available. What is a suitable replacement to use if I need to replace it?