Vinyl listening session.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Vinyl listening session.

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:50 pm

I've been transferring old records to my mac.

4 Jimi Hendrix albums I found at a garage sale. Wonderful finds, only two skips amongst all that.

Enrico Macias. For my mom, who is a huge fan. They sound great.

I also transferred one with JFK speeches. Badly recorded, but the album thankfully was scratch free.

More coming as I am able to. My ears can only sit and listen for so long.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:08 am

I love doing this...transferred vinyl sounds remarkably good. Are you using a separate phono preamp, or just the output of your receiver?

I've been transferring a lot of old cassette recordings lately. Sounds like high school.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Vinyl listening session.

Post by ubertar » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:54 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:4 Jimi Hendrix albums I found at a garage sale.
Man, that's a great find. Which ones?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:28 am

When you come across a nice press of Hendrix, especially the early albums, yeah, that is always a nice find that gives you a jolt.

Was recently reading the story of Jimi and the Who deciding who was going to go on after the other at the Monterey Pop Festival in ?67. Having seen him in England, Townshend knew what was coming and didn?t want to have to come on after Hendrix. Both bands were planning on destroying their instruments. Coin toss went to the Who, so Jimi comes on after them and of course kills it anyway. Humps his amp, plays with teeth, plays behind his head, smashes guitar, and of course sprays it with lighter fluid and burns it. Oh yeah, and plays his ass off leaving everybody slack jawed.

And, of course there?s no way to prove it, but there were a lot of strange things going on before he died. Conspiracy theorist or not, there are a couple good uTube viewable documentary type vids on what may have gone down towards the end there for Jimi. (Can't have a thread that mentions JFK without conspiracy theories..)

----------
I gave away all my mix tapes, but I remember not having a lot of money as a twelve year old and wanting to get as much music as possible on each cassette. I?d write down the minutes and seconds and work out how to cram them all onto one cassette, maybe cutting a few seconds off here and there. Some brands of 90 minutes cassettes would give you a little more than 45 minutes a side.

------------
Funny, Haven?t been in the market for awhile when I finally ran through my silo stack of blank cd?s and was at Costco. ?Blank CD?s? We don?t carry those anymore in the stores. You can get them online though.?
I transfer vinyl to a dedicated Tascam CD recorder deck via a restored Sansui receiver. Listen through speakers but shut them off and don headphones to turn up fade outs and mark the end the tracks precisely and not get hum feedback. It always sounds just okay through the little headphone out, but the recordings sound fantastic.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Vinyl listening session.

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:49 pm

ubertar wrote:
Nick Sevilla wrote:4 Jimi Hendrix albums I found at a garage sale.
Man, that's a great find. Which ones?
Axis: Bold As Love.
Electric Ladyland.
Rainbow Bridge.
And the posthumous "Crash Landing". You can tell the arrangements are more conservative, and it was done in 1975. Interesting anyways, if nothing more than to listen to rare Jimi performances on electric guitar, even through arrangements obviously not his own.

None are really "1st pressings", but they are in really great shape. I got two skips out of all the albums, in total.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:54 pm

ott0bot wrote:I love doing this...transferred vinyl sounds remarkably good. Are you using a separate phono preamp, or just the output of your receiver?

I've been transferring a lot of old cassette recordings lately. Sounds like high school.
I am using a Stanton T.92 USB turntable. But, NOT using their USB, because that sucks horrifically.

Going line out, to my Allen & Heath console, for tons o clean gain, into my ProTools HD converters. No eq, nothing. The RMS is about -20, peaks at about -8dBFS. When I get a "pop" or crackle, even those do not distort the converter. I can clean them up better this way.

Cheers.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:18 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
ott0bot wrote:I love doing this...transferred vinyl sounds remarkably good. Are you using a separate phono preamp, or just the output of your receiver?

I am using a Stanton T.92 USB turntable. But, NOT using their USB, because that sucks horrifically.

Going line out, to my Allen & Heath console, for tons o clean gain, into my ProTools HD converters. No eq, nothing. The RMS is about -20, peaks at about -8dBFS. When I get a "pop" or crackle, even those do not distort the converter. I can clean them up better this way.

Cheers.
Nice. I've been doing similar...my old belt-driven '75 Technics turntable, line in to my Apollo, and linking stereo, then adding gain as needed. similar peaks. need a new needle though.

I had a little USB converter by griffin called the iMic that has a phono preamp and USB, but the headroom was lacking...conversion was surprising ok. had to do quite a bit of adjustment after converting. much better now that've switched over.

oneflightup
pluggin' in mics

Post by oneflightup » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:26 am

ok I'm getting jealous now. Gonna get out those old 45's!

Nick

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:44 am

When I think of Rainbow Bridge, I don't think Star-Spangled Banner, I think Dolly Dagger.

I think I was engaged to her many years ago...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "