Mic Robot Kickstarter

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Mic Robot Kickstarter

Post by drumsound » Wed May 20, 2015 9:40 am

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/94 ... ero_thanks

Have you guys seen this? Larry tweeted about it last night and I jumped on it. I always feel like people freak out when you jump up and move the mic a bunch of times (well 2 times) so I don't tend to tweak as much as I should. NOW they will be all about the robot, and I'll be able to listen to changes right in the control room.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am

Yeah would be a cool toy to have, can't afford it right now. Any word on how it is powered? My smart-ass alter ego suggested that a phantom power option would be the bomb..

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 20, 2015 8:17 pm

I don't believe they are clear. I'll find out in October...

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Thu May 21, 2015 7:59 am

I've used a similar technique for decades. It's called an assistant. They can take directions and move mics for you.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu May 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Jim Williams wrote:I've used a similar technique for decades. It's called an assistant. They can take directions and move mics for you.
And when one of those isn't available, I use my own hands! They're amazing tools!

Honestly, I see no point in this robot. Getting a couple mic's on one speaker can be tight as it is.. lets throw a robot in the mix that takes up even more front of amp real estate. I found that as an engineer, its part of my job to move mic's around until I'm happy with the sound and placement. I don't need more reasons to sit on my ass and be glued to a screen to do something as simple as finding mic placement.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu May 21, 2015 1:06 pm

trodden wrote:
Jim Williams wrote:I've used a similar technique for decades. It's called an assistant. They can take directions and move mics for you.
And when one of those isn't available, I use my own hands! They're amazing tools!

Honestly, I see no point in this robot. Getting a couple mic's on one speaker can be tight as it is.. lets throw a robot in the mix that takes up even more front of amp real estate. I found that as an engineer, its part of my job to move mic's around until I'm happy with the sound and placement. I don't need more reasons to sit on my ass and be glued to a screen to do something as simple as finding mic placement.

My thought is that I can listen in the control room as things change. Plus, clients also get nervous as you walk back and fourth trying to find the position you like. If I can take care of it with less "Interference" they will be happy and I will be happy.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu May 21, 2015 1:21 pm

drumsound wrote:
trodden wrote:

My thought is that I can listen in the control room as things change. Plus, clients also get nervous as you walk back and fourth trying to find the position you like. If I can take care of it with less "Interference" they will be happy and I will be happy.
Your clients get nervous when you're doing your job? That has got to be annoying.

When it comes to mic placement at my place, the only times the clients get somewhat annoyed is when I send a metronome into their rig just to get a transient spike to check initial capsule phase placement when using more than one mic on a cab, that annoying sound.. and funny enough, i refer to that as "getting the robot"? after that, its all about moving it and making a "right" and 'quick" decision. that also helps with having an idea on where the mic and DI track are in relation to each other. Gives me a starting point to work off of.

I see the robot just making things take longer, another piece to fail, and the previous mentioned space/multiple mic issues.

I'm not trying to be a jerk.. really I'm not. People have gotten great sounds without robots for decades now. Just seems like a waste of money, especially for someone like me who doesn't have any money. :)

Just my opinion though. Cool to see that people are trying to come up with new ideas?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu May 21, 2015 4:19 pm

trodden wrote:

... when I send a metronome into their rig just to get a transient spike to check initial capsule phase placement when using more than one mic on a cab, ...
Cool idear!

What's the best way to do that?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri May 22, 2015 12:10 am

trodden wrote:
drumsound wrote:
trodden wrote:

Your clients get nervous when you're doing your job? That has got to be annoying.

When it comes to mic placement at my place, the only times the clients get somewhat annoyed is when I send a metronome into their rig just to get a transient spike to check initial capsule phase placement when using more than one mic on a cab, that annoying sound.. and funny enough, i refer to that as "getting the robot"? after that, its all about moving it and making a "right" and 'quick" decision. that also helps with having an idea on where the mic and DI track are in relation to each other. Gives me a starting point to work off of.

I see the robot just making things take longer, another piece to fail, and the previous mentioned space/multiple mic issues.

I'm not trying to be a jerk.. really I'm not. People have gotten great sounds without robots for decades now. Just seems like a waste of money, especially for someone like me who doesn't have any money. :)

Just my opinion though. Cool to see that people are trying to come up with new ideas?
Anytime people are spending their own money, they get nervous about over spending. Anytime they are doing something new (which a good portion of my clients are, having never been in the studio) they are worried about having made a bad decision. Therefore I put it on myself to really get something workable quickly. I think having the robot will help me to do things quickly and transparently.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri May 22, 2015 12:16 am

trodden wrote:
drumsound wrote:
trodden wrote:

Anytime people are spending their own money, they get nervous about over spending. Anytime they are doing something new (which a good portion of my clients are, having never been in the studio) they are worried about having made a bad decision. Therefore I put it on myself to really get something workable quickly. I think having the robot will help me to do things quickly and transparently.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Fri May 22, 2015 7:52 am

If the client cares about the results, they can move the mic for you as well.

Or you can move the mic while they listen and pick the spot they like.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri May 22, 2015 10:09 am

vvv wrote:
trodden wrote:

... when I send a metronome into their rig just to get a transient spike to check initial capsule phase placement when using more than one mic on a cab, ...
Cool idear!

What's the best way to do that?
Metronome has a line out. It really helps with getting a starting point with multiple mic placement along with a DI.

SpencerMartin
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by SpencerMartin » Fri May 22, 2015 12:49 pm

That'd definitely be a cool toy to have! Eric Valentine beat everyone to the punch though? Starting at 0:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jymtu45kI

On a side note, he's an effing genius? Great sounds.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri May 22, 2015 1:36 pm

SpencerMartin wrote:That'd definitely be a cool toy to have! Eric Valentine beat everyone to the punch though? Starting at 0:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jymtu45kI

On a side note, he's an effing genius? Great sounds.
Awesome.

And yeah, its a great idea, I'm just being a hater for no reason... sorry everyone.

Andrew707
takin' a dinner break

Post by Andrew707 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:19 am

That looks pretty cool, but it kind'a reminds me of the space pen vs. the pencil.