Best DeEsser Plugin?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Best DeEsser Plugin?

Post by Recording Engineer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:12 pm

So I've made the switch to PT12 Native and loving the AAX and UAD plugins; after being on PT HD3 Accel since 6.9 was new and stopped updating at 7.4. The stock PT7.4 TDM DeEsser worked fine-enough for me, but now the stock PT12 Native one and the two that come in the Waves Diamond are damn-near useless to me. Who has the best one?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:31 pm

I don't think I've found a better one than the Massey De-esser. It does the job, and does it right. Transparent and lots of tweakability without getting too complicated.

I've used 4 of them in serial on a live mix to tame an acoustic guitar that was all over the room mics and you couldn't even hear it, but it was working. Sibilant vocals are a snap.

Plus it's 64 bit AAX, and is super affordable. Also you can demo a nearly full version for as long as you please. Try it out.

http://www.masseyplugins.com/plugins/deesser

Also, if you have UAD, try out theirs. I've heard it is pretty solid too...and with the that you can use it while tracking.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:07 pm

I got the T-racks de esser with the group buy last christmas. I like how it de ess in a notch, not just a shelf or full range like the Avid model.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:31 pm

the waves D-esser and R D-esser work fine for me.

Digital Fish phones spit fish too.
the new rules : there are no rules

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:41 pm

spit fish is a classic but won't run on modern macs. it WILL run on 64 bit PCs if you use j-bridge. a little wonky but it works.

the DMG essence is unbelievably good. i can't recommend it enough. besides regular old de-essing, it'll do pretty much any other dynamic eq task you can think up. i've used it to:

tame hihats/cymbals without touching the snare
reduce snare mud in a mix
reduce kick mud and/or boom in a mix
tame harsh guitars in a mix

i keep saying 'in a mix' because that's how great this thing is...fixing stuff on individual tracks is easy...with this you can grab elements in a mix without messing up anything else.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:26 am

The Massey and Waves ones are my go tos.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:33 am

Interesting about that DMG essence. I'll have to check if they have a demo.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:07 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:spit fish is a classic but won't run on modern macs. it WILL run on 64 bit PCs if you use j-bridge. a little wonky but it works.

the DMG essence is unbelievably good. i can't recommend it enough. besides regular old de-essing, it'll do pretty much any other dynamic eq task you can think up. i've used it to:

tame hihats/cymbals without touching the snare
reduce snare mud in a mix
reduce kick mud and/or boom in a mix
tame harsh guitars in a mix

i keep saying 'in a mix' because that's how great this thing is...fixing stuff on individual tracks is easy...with this you can grab elements in a mix without messing up anything else.
A mastering friend of mine recently hipped me to the DMG Essence. I tried the demo for 10 minutes then purchased it.

I was having some trouble mixing tracks that hadn't been recorded at my studio and to get the vocal going there was no way it was going to work without a de-esser.
The guy who recorded the tracks had the pro tools de-esser on every vocal and it was a real soul sucker.

The DMG is terrific. In addition to what More Space Echo described it also does a great job with finger squeaks on acoustic guitar and you can set it up to tame 'plosives' also. The full version has an amazing batch of pre-sets for starting points on all kinds of stuff.

I hear their EQ is fantastic also.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:24 pm

I didn't realize that i had already demoed essence. When i asked to have my demo license reset, Dave got back to me right away and reset it.

Seems like a really nice guy.

I'm also particularly interested in that mini-eq, forgot the name though.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:00 pm

roscoenyc wrote:I hear their EQ is fantastic also.
it's incredible. i could go on and on, but just try it out, you'll be sending dave more of your money.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:07 pm

$200 for a d-esser!!
the new rules : there are no rules

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:13 am

the DMG? they must've raised the price, intro price was like $149. or maybe the exchange rate changed to our disadvantage.

it's worth it though. you can do so much more than regular de-essing with it, in a very transparent fashion.

sorry if i sound like i'm on the payroll. i just think it's great.

another one i like is the brainworx dyn-eq, i don't use it that often, but that thing can be really good at grabbing the occasional ear piercing telecaster note, or some singers can get really pierce-y when they get into a certain range/sing louder, and there'll be a couple notes that are just laser beams...the brainworx can grab just those and nothing else. so can the DMG but the brainworx' interface makes it quicker to set up sometimes.

i think that goes for like $300, but they have sales all the time on plugin alliance, if you keep an eye out you can get it for way less, i think i got it for $99.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Looks like essence is 99 pounds. That's about $155.00 currently according to my scientific calculations.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:16 pm

I've had luck with the Waves R-De Esser.

Sometimes also put in before the REVERB...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:46 am

I have had pretty good luck with the Waves Ren De-esser as well and just picked it up the other day for $29.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com