RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Treatment for weird mix position

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Making A Space
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Treatment for weird mix position Reply with quote

I have a converted garage that's 11'W x 19'L with a ceiling that come to a 13' peak. There is a loft that runs the length of the room and is 8' high. The rest of the room is open to the ceiling.

My mix position is at one of the 11' sides and my R monitor sits under the loft while the L speaker under the open area. I realize this is probably hard to imagine, so I'll try to get a Sketchup drawing together and post it.

Any ideas of how to treat this area?

Thanks
-AE

[/b]
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Treatment for weird mix position Reply with quote

The main thing is to find the reflection points and treat them with thick absorption. In asymmetrical room there will be reflection points in different places for different speakers. Use the HOW section for details on how to do the mirror trick:

http://realtraps.com/rfz.htm

Also, bass traps. Since the room is asymmetrical you can use this listening test to find where the bass builds up in your room, so you can place the traps well:

http://realtraps.com/lf-noise.htm
norton
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Treatment for weird mix position Reply with quote

I'd look at the space as a whole, keeping in mind that acoustic treatment, like sound isolation methods, are most effective when viewed as a system.

If your space is unconventional, you'll likely need some unconventional solutions....I'd look into fuzzmeasure by rogue amoeba and start by doing a series of sweeps of your space.

Once you've got an idea of what your acoustic problems are....it'll be much easier to start tackling them.
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Treatment for weird mix position Reply with quote

I just have this picture of you standing on one leg ...

Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Making A Space All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: