Gear Geeking Question: Thread Lubricant For Mics?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Gear Geeking Question: Thread Lubricant For Mics?

Post by Suntower » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:03 pm

I've got a number of Avantone mics (no jokes, please) with swappable capsules that screw on/off.

The only downer about these is that the screw threads are DELICATE brass (like on old flashlights) and the capsule threads are even more so. So unless yer SUPER careful, eventually there is a tendency to deform the threads on the body (bad) or screw up the plasticy-capsule (worse).

SO: Is there such a thing as a lubricant for this sort of thing to make such damage less likely? Obviously, above all, it's gotta be *SAFE.

TIA,

---JC

*I mean for the mic. It can be as carcinogenic to me as it wants to be.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:03 pm

A lubricant won't really help you with misalignment, but turning the capsule contrary to the thread until you feel it seat, will. Try gun oil for a lubricant if you desire.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:29 pm

Quayhog
audio school

Post by Quayhog » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:40 am

Powdered graphite or graphite based spark plug thread lubricant, every A&P mechanic has it in his tool box.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:55 am

I've been using this stuff for various things... just remember to shake it up well before you use (it settles). and it has alcohol so I wouldn't let it near rubber gaskets, etc. got mine at Lowe's or Home Depot... works well for drum lugs, stands, squeaky doors, etc.

Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:15 pm

The graphite option is reasonable, and pretty easy to try. I'd trust it more than anything with liquid in it.

Simply scribble on the threads a little with a regular pencil. Don't put so much on that there's big chunks that might fall inside.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:11 pm

I like to use a pencil, preferably a artist pencil with thick lead but any will do, and scrape the lead witha razor knife - I use this on guitar saddles and nuts, also.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:55 pm

vvv wrote:I like to use a pencil, preferably a artist pencil with thick lead but any will do, and scrape the lead witha razor knife - I use this on guitar saddles and nuts, also.
I'd totally forgotten about this trick. Makes sense!

I also want to thank everyone else for replying. For some reason, I never seem to get notifications from this forum.

CHEERS!

---JC

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:04 am

That pencil trick is great for changing strings, too. A bit of graphite on the nut and bridge makes 'em tune easier and break less

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:00 am

None of those lube solutions are conductive, just the opposite. Nearly all screw on capsules require a good electrical contact to the threads/casing. Insulating those threads with lubes may lead to other probles and noise.

I use Stabilent 22A here as a conductive lube. It's a polymer that is conductive in the presense of electrical current. It will lube the threads while enhancing conductivity.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Intriguing. Seems a bit pricey, though for my needs.

Thanks.

---JC
Jim Williams wrote:None of those lube solutions are conductive, just the opposite. Nearly all screw on capsules require a good electrical contact to the threads/casing. Insulating those threads with lubes may lead to other probles and noise.

I use Stabilent 22A here as a conductive lube. It's a polymer that is conductive in the presense of electrical current. It will lube the threads while enhancing conductivity.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:28 pm

Graphite is reasonably conductive.

Typically if I'm dealing with a sticky thread in a short amount of time I just wipe a little oil off my forehead.

Yes, I did have an acne problem as a teenager.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:32 pm

Reminds me of reading some famous guitar player saying he uses nose grease on his fretboard ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:39 pm

Scodiddly wrote:Typically if I'm dealing with a sticky thread in a short amount of time I just wipe a little oil off my forehead.

Yes, I did have an acne problem as a teenager.
Little known fact: Macgyver used that same trick to escape a Turkish jail cell. Clear skin? He'd a been a goner. :D