So I thought I'd mention a new-to-me bass DI technique

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

So I thought I'd mention a new-to-me bass DI technique

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:36 am

I've hadda bass amp in my bedio for quite some time, and it's lotsa fun and I like switching out the recording chain, lately digging a The Brick pre into a 160XT or 1176 clone, and various mic's, lately a Kickball.

But I did find that I like to split outta the Brick as a DI, its instrument out to the amp, what means I like to use a 166A in linked stereo with the amped track controlling, what means I don't find the need to shift anything for phase if I use both tracks.

I like the DI for two reasons; as a safety for if I don't like the amp'd track because of noise or whatever, but also because I can use the DI in parallel to add some boef.

So I got to thinking, what is always dangerous and often a complete waste of energy and drinking time, but I decided to run two pre's in parallel, again using The Brick and splitting it's pass-thru to a second pre.

There's lotsa possible combinations but so far I'm really liking put The Brick as pre into a compressor, and then splitting into a VC3Q to use as a parallel DI track.

The VC3Q for DI bass is awesome, as you can really overdrive it, it has a good-for-bass optical compressor, and the EQ is fun, able to be downright dub if ya want it.

I been getting some good comments on that sound, thought I'd suggest it to ya's.

Eventually, I'm gonna try the same thing with a ISA1 instead of The Brick, and use the slaved stereo 166A; I remember I used to like the cheap VTB1 on bass for some stuff, so I'll be trying that, also, to swap for the Meek ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

oneflightup
pluggin' in mics

Post by oneflightup » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:32 am

Hey VVV,

Great post! I've gotta do some experimenting like that sometime soon!

Thanks for sharing,

Nick

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:22 am

It's actually pretty efficient as you get two bass sounds for one and can mix and match. Pre's like The Brick, the ISA 1, mebbe the Summit 2BA2, can make it work pretty easily.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.