Modifying Yamaha MIDI Expression Pedal

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Modifying Yamaha MIDI Expression Pedal

Post by Suntower » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:23 pm

I'm trying to use a Yamaha Expression pedal with my CME-UF8 keyboard midi controller... which then goes into Cubase 8.

What happens when I record data is that it only records from 0 to 50%. IOW: When the pedal travels from 0-100 Cubase sees that as 0-50% rather than going from 0-100.

My old expression pedal (Ensoniq) works just fine.

I seem to recall in the dim past that there were two ways these pedals were wired back in the day (depending on the synth) and that it =might= be a fairly simple way to alter them to work the same way. (or maybe not. maybe it requires replacing the pot which would be a no-go.) But I coulda sworn someone made an in-line gizmo to convert a pedal from one kind of behaviour to the other.

Anyhoo, if so, can someone refresh my memory as to how to do this? The Yamaha is MUCH sturdier/smoother so I'd prefer to stick with that if it can be easily modified.

TIA,

---JC

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:28 am

Is there a calibration procedure?

My Digitech, you do something that puts it into Cal mode, pull the pedal all the way up, hit a button, push it all the way down, hit a button and presto change-o it all works.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.