Electro Voice PL10?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

somniferum
gimme a little kick & snare

Electro Voice PL10?

Post by somniferum » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:27 pm

I have a chance to pick up an Electro Voice PL10 for $100 locally(maybe less provided I can talk them down more) and I was wondering anyone's opinions on these mics who have owned them in the past or presently do. I have done some research here as well as on the web and found a some info, but am wondering if anyone has any additional opinions on this mic. My primary usage would be (if the mic sounds good on these sources,) clean electric guitar, electric bass, synth (ran through my bass rig) and percussion, primarily snare drum or toms. Any info is greatly appreciated.
"Don't worry about me, I've got a bed. I've got a Christmas tree inside my head."

http://www.myspace.com/somniferumky
http://www.myspace.com/wurmkraut

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:10 pm

hey dude, i'd pick it up of you have the $100 to spare. I've never been unhappy with any E/V mic i've used. granted i've only had a handful of them in my possession, you really can't mess this up. I'm sure you'll be able to sell it for the $100 you paid for with no problem.. hell if you don't like it, i'll take it for a spin. just from word of mouth, people have found plenty of used for the pl10, mostly in the bass guitar, 6 string guitar cab department. funky dynamics are starting to appeal to me more than harsh ass condensors.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:00 pm

That's the one that looks like a baby RE20, right? They're kind of cool. I haven't used one in years, but my recollection is that they're a pretty neat dynamic mic. Nothing special, but different from, say, a 57. I've used them on toms. I imagine they'd work fine for a few other things. If its in good shape, I imagine $100 is an okay price for one.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:26 pm

We have one. It's a smaller version of the RE20. Have used it on floor tom a lot. Also cool on guitar amps. Used it for a scratch vocal once and it sounded great. EV makes very nice microphones. Go for it.

Note: sometimes the inner surround foam isolator rots. If it rattles, that's your problem. An easy fix.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

somniferum

Post by somniferum » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanks for the advice y'all :) I guess I'll go pick up the mic tomorrow (provided it hasn't already been sold). I really shouldn't be buying a mic right now, since supplies for building interconnect cables are a more pressing concern, but oh well. Buying mics is surely more fun. :wink: Trodden, you are first on my list if I end up needing money more than I need another mic. BTW, not to get too off topic but I keep forgetting to mention that an old band of mine played a show with WORMWOOD way back in November 1998 (I think) in Wapakoneta, Ohio. Thanks again y'all :)
"Don't worry about me, I've got a bed. I've got a Christmas tree inside my head."

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:26 pm

somniferum wrote:Thanks for the advice y'all :) I guess I'll go pick up the mic tomorrow (provided it hasn't already been sold). I really shouldn't be buying a mic right now, since supplies for building interconnect cables are a more pressing concern, but oh well. Buying mics is surely more fun. :wink: Trodden, you are first on my list if I end up needing money more than I need another mic. BTW, not to get too off topic but I keep forgetting to mention that an old band of mine played a show with WORMWOOD way back in November 1998 (I think) in Wapakoneta, Ohio. Thanks again y'all :)
holy shit.. .I remember Wapa, OH... damn, yeah that small building with the baptism pool behind the curtains, down the street from the rendering plant.. the bands pretty much played for each other and thats it. i totally remember that. yeah, we reloctated to seattle about 5 years ago.

somniferum

Post by somniferum » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:20 am

trodden wrote:
somniferum wrote:Thanks for the advice y'all :) I guess I'll go pick up the mic tomorrow (provided it hasn't already been sold). I really shouldn't be buying a mic right now, since supplies for building interconnect cables are a more pressing concern, but oh well. Buying mics is surely more fun. :wink: Trodden, you are first on my list if I end up needing money more than I need another mic. BTW, not to get too off topic but I keep forgetting to mention that an old band of mine played a show with WORMWOOD way back in November 1998 (I think) in Wapakoneta, Ohio. Thanks again y'all :)
holy shit.. .I remember Wapa, OH... damn, yeah that small building with the baptism pool behind the curtains, down the street from the rendering plant.. the bands pretty much played for each other and thats it. i totally remember that. yeah, we reloctated to seattle about 5 years ago.
Yeah there were like five people besides the band. I remember we played kind of badly at that show. I still have the photo somewhere we took after the show of everybody in that baptismal fountain. Oh yeah I have an (audio) tape of the WORMWOOD show a few weeks prior to that in Lexington, Ky with COALESCE. Let me know if you would ever want a copy, I can put it on CD for you.

About the EV mic....I decided to pass for now. I was going to go there saturday to pick it up but I realized I didn't quite have enough money to get it. I figured if I went all the way down there and they wouldn'y lower the price I would have just wasted gas and time. Plus I ended up scoring a SENNHEISER MD21 off eBay today for $42 (plus shipping) so no more mics for awhile. If that EV mic is still there come tax time I might still be able to pick it up for you if you want.

sonichermit
audio school

EV PL10

Post by sonichermit » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:37 pm

I have a pair of these I bought years ago and have used them on rack toms for over 25 years. They are very good mics for toms. Never used them for anything else. If you can find one for the price you mentioned buy it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Because, like, 9 years, 8 months later, mebbe it's still available?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

sonichermit
audio school

9 yrs 8mo later

Post by sonichermit » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Ha ha ha, good one. Who knows maybe he is still looking. LOL