Question about capacitor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

southsider
pluggin' in mics

Post by southsider » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks everyone very much for the help and information so far. Yes, I found that it is in fact a bi-polar capacitor. Labeled "B".

It is an input module from a tascam m-600. From what I gather the date code on the caps could mean 86 or 96. Not sure when mine was made, but the manual does say copyright 1986.

I recapped the psu, and master module, control room module, and a few others that are common. There was a small, but noticeable improvement in sound quality. I'm looking forward to hearing what the input modules will sound like. I can say for sure, that using an external mic pre such as API 512, Vintech (500 series), and chandler germanium are much better sounding, but I'm starting to learn how to "squeeze" more sound out of the console pres. They're on the smooth/dark/dull side. Not offensive though, which is nice. If anything, at least I'll know that the modules/console are working at their best.

Jim, thanks for responding. I've read a good bit of your posts about these consoles. Any other tips while I have the hood open on it would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:58 am

Those consoles can be a job to rework, all SIP opamps requiring adaptors.
If you want to hear what a modified M-600 sounds like, check out the Yes CD called "Open Your Eyes" produced by Billy Sherwood back in the mid 1990's. It's all M-600 including mixing. Yes went to the Enterprise SSL studio to mix but could not get the clarity and punch the modified M-600 had, so they rented some outboard and mixed it at Sherwood's place in Van Nuys, CA by the airport. Another Yes CD followed with the same audio path.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

southsider
pluggin' in mics

Post by southsider » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:46 pm

Interesting. I need to find the actual CD to hear it in 16 bit.

After recapping some modules, I notice a very slight difference in the sound. There is more low bass, better transient response, and overall a brighter sound. The difference is more noticeable when I engage the EQ (same settings) on two different pairs of the old and new capped channels. I had already recapped the PSU and master section, along with the PGM send and AUX modules about two years ago.

I'm going to continue on with the rest of the modules, which brings me to my next question. Does anyone have any extra Monitor(tape RTN/buss) modules? Specifically, just the "A" module, which is the one on top that has the tape RTN trim, EQ, phase, etc.

Hope to hear back soon.