that compressed sound from iPhone recordings etc

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Bobbydecay
audio school

that compressed sound from iPhone recordings etc

Post by Bobbydecay » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:37 am

We always record our band practices on an iphone in the corner of the room, and generally get the ideas we need down.

I'm also a hobbyist recordist, and now and again I'll spend a weekend utilising the assortment of mid range gear and knowledge i've accumulated over the years recording our songs. Spending time tuning up the drums, treating the room, trying techniques I've read on here etc.

I master them in ozone and stick them in itunes to compare with other stuff. While what i've done always sounds 'fine', 'nice' 'good', when one of our shitty band practice recordings from an iphone comes on I always prefer it. They're generally louder and more exciting sounding.

Time to master to iphone? Does anyone else get this sometimes? No mater what I do in ozone the nasty pumping compression of the smartphone recorder generally sounds cooler and more alive (!)

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:37 am

I have an MP3 recorder that's the same, I put it down to the AGC or compression of the unit.

Though when you are recording 'properly' are you doing it in a band situation or one instrument at a time? Nothing beats the loose band vibe I find.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Bobbydecay
audio school

Post by Bobbydecay » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:16 am

Yeah I think your right with the agc. Perhaps I should find a suitable plug in and apply to an ambient mic.

I've done both live in the room and separate recordings and you're right, those one instrument at a time tracks tend to sound pretty flat. Even if at the time I thought I was performing my part 'loose' and with 'feel'

I just tried mastering to cassette then back into the box to sink up and dirt up, but it's proving to be a phasing and syncing neetmare.

I wonder if the next time I record there's a way to take an output from a smartphone into the daw and literally record an 'iphone' track to mix in to taste. That'd be cool. Just having one running in the corner would be another syncing nightmare let alone finding the take you want.

The solution is probably to learn and practice good recording methods, plus its an excuse to buy loads of dirty pre amps and stuff..

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:54 pm

It's probably more the compression that will get you there then dirty preamps.

Try something aggressive like a dynamite or dbx163 on a room mic or 2 - something grabby that excites the splashy top end of the room sound. Then supplement with close mics for more definition.

The softube Dynamite plug is really good if you are ITB. Try something extreme in parallel on your master buss or drum buss too and see if that gets you there.

I think you might find that although the iphone sound is exciting and it's easy to fixate on that part of the sound - it's probably not a very full bodied sound with much low end
on it's own and may be fairly abrasive in the mids/treble
the new rules : there are no rules

Theo_Karon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Theo_Karon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:30 pm

Fostex MN-50
Pioneer CT-5 AGC
Standard Level-Or
Shure SE-30
:wink:
Everything is going to be OK.

https://www.theokaron.com/

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:33 pm

I'm probably doing it wrong and am a complete hack, but I've been using the "mastering" compressor on my hard disk recorder into a an ART Pro VLA and then into PT with a limiter ITB to get that sound.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:49 am

I recently saw some raw tracks from the band, Metric and they had some that were labeled something like, "I-Phone Room" for the drums ...

Doesn't mean they used a actual "I-Phone", of course.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: that compressed sound from iPhone recordings etc

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:09 pm

Bobbydecay wrote:We always record our band practices on an iphone in the corner of the room, and generally get the ideas we need down.

I'm also a hobbyist recordist, and now and again I'll spend a weekend utilising the assortment of mid range gear and knowledge i've accumulated over the years recording our songs. Spending time tuning up the drums, treating the room, trying techniques I've read on here etc.

I master them in ozone and stick them in itunes to compare with other stuff. While what i've done always sounds 'fine', 'nice' 'good', when one of our shitty band practice recordings from an iphone comes on I always prefer it. They're generally louder and more exciting sounding.

Time to master to iphone? Does anyone else get this sometimes? No mater what I do in ozone the nasty pumping compression of the smartphone recorder generally sounds cooler and more alive (!)
You skipped the entire mixing process. Why?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Bobbydecay
audio school

Post by Bobbydecay » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:20 am

I never ever mix anything I've recorded. I don't even listen to it really. You guys mix your stuff? whos got time for that?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Bobbydecay wrote:I never ever mix anything I've recorded. I don't even listen to it really. You guys mix your stuff? whos got time for that?
I am a mix engineer. I mix that I mix.

:)
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.