Where to get licenses without all the processing fees?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Where to get licenses without all the processing fees?

Post by dgrieser » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:44 pm

A band I'm in recorded a few covers along with our original material. When I went to Harry Fox to get licenses, they charge a $16 processing fee for a license for CDs, another $16 processing fee for a license for downloads, and yet another $16 processing fee for a license for streams. How are they getting away with this?

Is there any place that I can get a license without getting ripped off by a $16 processing fee on a $5 license?

Next CD is all original material.

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:48 am

Anyone use loudr.fm? It looks like their $15 licensing fee covers all 3 different kinds of licenses.

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:15 pm

That site looks legit to me. I think they realized there's a bit of money to be made procuring licenses and decided to do it cheaply to see if they can make it up in volume.

The Harry Fox site, being what seemed like the only game in town, kept it's pricing in the pre-digital era. I can see a $16 processing fee for every piece of paper that needs to be typed up and mailed somewhere, but on the web, the user's doing all the work. All Harry Fox needs to do is supply the code and process the payments electronically.

Hopefully this "loufr.fm" site and others like it will give Fox a good kick in the pants.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:09 pm

Have you looked at TuneCore?

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.