Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wedman08
audio school

Tascam 424 mkiIII Recording Problem

Post by wedman08 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi all,

Appreciate any help.

Went to use the Tascam 424 mkIII the other day, having not been touched since last functioning properly (about 2 weeks), and found the following problem: There is no playback sound being played from a known working/recorded on cassette. No activity on the VU meters.

Similarly, though I can hear in headphones the sound of a mic or instrument when plugged into an armed channel (monitoring) there is no signal activity in the VU meter, though properly armed and routed for recording.

Does anyone have an idea of where the problem may lie? I can expand on the signal path or any other specifics that might help problem solve this.

The cassette mechanism works fine. I can hear inputs through the mixer. But, there is no signal being read off a cassette with tracks on it, nor does the VU meter acknowledge the sounding/working input.

Thanks for any help/insight/leads.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 pm

I'd guess the prob might start with the playback head - try cleaning it?

After that, look for a loose or broken wire connecting the head ...

Ooops :oops: , just saw no VU either - does it usually read without actually being in "record"?

If so, I'm think mebbe a switch is bad.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

wedman08
audio school

Post by wedman08 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:46 pm

thanks for the reply. yeah, heads have been cleaned regularly.

it doesn't usually read while not in record but now it isn't reading in record or reading (or playing) on playback (though i can hear the monitor send(?) of the input, i.e. a mic on channel 1---so even when armed for record I can hear the input but it doesn't read on the VU). (The actual mechanics of the tape play/work fine, i.e. play, ff, rew)

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:54 pm

For the purposes of testing, have you tried a different cassette? Even something like a regular prerecorded commercial cassette would suffice.

wedman08
audio school

Post by wedman08 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:56 am

Yes, I have, with unfortunately the same result. No sound, no activity on the VU meters. If I crank the level I can hear some white noise so the headphone jack is working (similarly, when an instrument or mic is inserted into the 1/4 inch or xlr of a channel armed for recording I can hear ((through the mixer? monitor?)) the signal, but similarly no activity on the VU meter)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:55 am

FWIW, and at a guess, it would seem that the headphone amplifier is before the problem, the VU meters and tape head(s) after, so mebbe the next step is a visual inspection for something (hopefully) simple like a disconnected wire ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

wedman08
audio school

Post by wedman08 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks, yeah, that seems to be the inevitable next move, opening the machine (or, bringing it to a more knowledgeable friend to do so) up and seeing if something is loose/blown/busted. Thanks for the tips that will hopefully narrow down where to look.