X-Mas ideas for augmenting a 4-track

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

X-Mas ideas for augmenting a 4-track

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:17 am

Hi Esteemed TOMBers,

My 16 year old daughter recently made her first 4-track recording. It was just layers of herself singing, although I know she has higher aspirations. She doesn't play any instrument. I want to buy her a couple things to make it funner and more rewarding for her to record on the 4 track. I was going to get her a pair of Sony 7506's since she loves mine and an inexpensive interface [M-track?] so she can mix down to her laptop and share her creations.

I might just stop there, but...

I also wanted to get her a microphone that was a step up from what she's using now, but I'm not sure exactly what that is. I loaned her one of my AKG D321's that I bought new in 1986. I guess they sold it to me as a more versatile version of the Shure SM58, and I've used them with varying success over the years on almost every source you can name. She sounds OK through it.

Is there such a thing as a "sure fire" vocal mic for a 16 year old girl? She has a very "girly" voice, most of the time, but she has some range too. Maybe I should just give her access to my [very limited] "mic locker" for a while and see what she gravitates towards. I think if I get her that M-track she could even try my condenser mics by using it as a preamp.

My other idea was to get her some sort of effects unit or looper. Is there anything super simple, but fun, I should look for, perhaps used, in the $100 range that seems to be a good thing for a vocally oriented, young 4-tracker? I was looking at the TC Helicon "Mic Looper," but not sure what that really gets her.

I also don't really want to go too crazy on this, in case her first recording is her last.

Any ideas? TIA.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:25 am

Maybe some form of Korg Kaoss Pad or mini? Should be able to pick up one in that range, at least a used one?

If she has an iPhone or iPad tons of great music apps that might augment as well...

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:17 pm

The Korg stuff is a great idea; analog synths from $50, Kaoss Pad mini's from $150, and of course, you could spend a lot more if you wanted to on lots of their other fun, tweakable stuff.

Also, the Roland voice-changer might be fun for her.

A new mike is an easy no-brainer. Maybe a battery-operated condenser, or just another dynamic with a different sound.

As far as the apps kslight mentioned, there are so many it's unbelievable, but a fun, _stable_ app that I've used is BeBot: http://www.normalware.com/ ...

I'm getting my oldest son his first turntable (a Numark USB number), and a couple of albums to get his vinyl collection started; he likes Coldplay, and so far, almost anything Blue Note...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:14 pm

Why buy her anything?

Buy the mic you wanted to buy for yourself, and let her use it on occasion.

See? It is not too hard to get to the bottom of things.

As to buying her a copmuter audio interface, I think she should stick to that 4 track. Less time to think about edits, and more about committing to an idea.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:34 pm

I think a 2-channel interface is a good idea so she can mix down to computer or use it as a preamp for condensers. But then again she may just end up going digital after that.

How about a cheapo drum machine or synth for accompaniment? If she's into that kind of thing.

Or.... a bunch of tapes?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:41 pm

"Why buy her anything?" Because it's Christmas! Praise jesus by buying things.

I'm not concerned about the interface leading her to digital. If she wants to record herself digitally, that's absolutely fine by me.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:08 pm

If she has a decent laptop I'd vote for a midi controller so she can play some vet synths or drum machines to accompany herself, or some kind of instrument, unless she already has that stuff.

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:39 am

Carl you seem like a good dad.
And yet you play the drums.
How can this be?
Ivan the Threadstopper