Why Didn't This Work?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Why Didn't This Work?

Post by Drone » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:07 am

I wanted to have a track with more prominent vocals. I swear my vocal removal plugin used to have a setting where you could run it backwards and have it eliminate the rest and leave the vocals.

Anyway, it's a stereo track, I duplicated it, ran the vocal removal plugin on it, then inverted it, thinking this would allow me to mix it back with the original track and cancel out the instrumentation, didn't work.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:58 am

phase shift?

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:02 am

From the plugin? I suppose it could be, time to zoom in rather than use my ears, I don't think I have a phase adjustment plugin, have to add delay.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:17 am

Hmm, I tried inverting the duplicate track, without running the vocal plugin, and it produced silence, so that bit's OK.

I found in a different location what I think was the old inverse operation of the plugin, so I think that's sorted.

However, I also thought the track was pretty heavily mono-ized (if I can make a term up. So I muted the duplicate, split the stereo track into two mono tracks and inverted one of them. That produced more or less exactly what I want to get rid of, so how can I perform the opposite of this, and get the bit I'm losing, and lose the bit I'm getting, ie. have the parts that are common to it?

OK, think I got it. I took the two mono tracks that were giving me the opposite of what I wanted and mixed them into a single stereo track. Then I took that stereo track (without inverting) and played it with the duplicate of the original track. This gave me pretty much everything that was hard center, and nothing else, sounds kind of tinny but it should work perfectly in the context.

Thanks for bearing with my thought process :mrgreen:

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:55 am

Strange, glad you got it sorted out!

oneflightup
pluggin' in mics

Post by oneflightup » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:54 pm

any more inverting and I think I'll be ill ;)

...actually I think Gloria Estefan had a song about inverting phase back in the 90's.... Turn it up, turn it up, turn it upside down!

Nick

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:13 am

Do you not have axces to the original session? It seems like a mix revision would be far simpler.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:20 pm

drumsound wrote:Do you not have axces to the original session? It seems like a mix revision would be far simpler.
/\/\/\ This /\/\/\
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.