RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Space is the Place

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Space is the Place Reply with quote

Anyone see this movie? Reminds me of Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain, but with avant garde jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s8VZz-ERO0
dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Space is the Place Reply with quote

great movie. "a joyful noise" is worth watching as well.
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Space is the Place Reply with quote

Cool. I'll have to check that one out too.
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Space is the Place Reply with quote

There's also something that's been going around on cassette, people make copies and pass them on, that's supposed to be from space aliens. I don't have a tape player so she didn't make me a copy but we listened to it and it's pretty strange, and cool. Nothing like Sun Ra. More like metal in parts but all kinds of different instruments and rhythms and oddly tuned. I forgot what it's called, but I can find out.
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Space is the Place Reply with quote

What was the name of that electronic record that was supposed to be from Sirius? In the 80s I think. That was interesting too.
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Space is the Place Reply with quote

variableD wrote:
What was the name of that electronic record that was supposed to be from Sirius? In the 80s I think. That was interesting too.

Found it. Nommos by Craig Leon. I like it but it's still very earthly and very 80s. This new thing going around is weirder, in a good way. In some ways more so than Sun Ra, in others less. It's more contained, less wild. I think it must be a local thing, I haven't heard of it other than from a few friends.
dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Space is the Place Reply with quote

I am interested to see where this is going...
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Space is the Place Reply with quote

Parliament had the Mothership, too...

I asked my friend what the cassette thing was called and she wasn't sure, it's not written on hers, but she remembered it being something like the name of an auto repair shop. Weird. Maybe that's where it came from? She said it wasn't the name of any local place she knew. Maybe I could convince her to digitize a copy.
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Space is the Place Reply with quote

My friend remembered the name of the weird cassette thing, maybe: Cole Transmissions. Yep, sounds like an auto repair shop! I can't find a thing online. Guess this one's meant to fade into oblivion.
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Space is the Place Reply with quote

In keeping with the same theme, here's some great stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCfzE7w0SFw

George Russell, Jazz in the Space Age (1960)
Scodiddly
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Space is the Place Reply with quote

variableD wrote:
Anyone see this movie? Reminds me of Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain, but with avant garde jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s8VZz-ERO0

Wow, thanks for sharing that! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: