Ground hum issue!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CV_Wonder
audio school graduate

Ground hum issue!

Post by CV_Wonder » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:17 pm

Hello again,
Thanks everyone for your past help on questions I've had. I'm getting further on this DIY project I'm doing and having a big buzzing issue.

I have a stereo cassette head I'm running straight into a little pre-amp circuit. However I haven't been able to find a pinout diagram anywhere online for some reason. The head has 4 pins. I'm currently trying the left two pins going to L/R inputs and the right two pins going to L/R ground. This is causing a great deal of buzz and hum and one side doesn't output. I have the tape head fastened to an aluminum enclosure and I'm wondering if you usually need plastic washers or anything to separate contact to the metal bracket?

Here is the circuit I'm using. http://www.electronics-lab.com/project/ ... amplifier/

Best,
E

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:41 am

Isn't a head just a coil, electrically speaking, in which case continuity checking should reveal the pinout. :?

You'd have two coils, so two pairs of pins.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

CV_Wonder
audio school graduate

Post by CV_Wonder » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:30 am

Drone wrote:Isn't a head just a coil, electrically speaking, in which case continuity checking should reveal the pinout. :?

You'd have two coils, so two pairs of pins.
Yea your right. So this means that when I wire it up based on the schematics in that website then everything shorts to ground... Not sure how else I could be wiring it up since both ground pins share the common ground on the board. Hope that makes sense. Again very beginner here.