Attenuating other drums from kick drum mic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Never encourage a drummer for more, they always balance extra drums with more cymbals, you end up with 3 rack, 4 floor, 2 crash, a ride a bell, a china a cowbell, and whatever those weird ones with the holes in are.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:21 pm

YES!

And you guys enjoy your one-string basses and guitars, with no effects and no amps...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:26 pm

All fits in the vehicle with less hassle, and requires much less mic'ing. :mrgreen:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:19 pm

It amazes me the proscriptions people feel entitled to put on drummers. I saw a CL ad a few years ago that said no Tama drums. Like they'd turn Stewart Copeland away if he showed up to audition for their shitty Craigslist band. I've never seen an ad that said no Gibsons or Marshalls.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Indeed sir; beautifully articulated ^^^^.

If that kind of nonsense is to be chalked-up to bad experiences (and ignorance?), then why indeed are't there more "No Marshalls" ads? Those guys have been responsible for some of my worst musical experiences... And many others' as well, I'm sure.

I jammed with some jazz guys several years ago (you might know one of them, Carl, this was back in the day)... They liked my playing, but I had a rivet cymbal ( a cool Earth Ride I bought used that somebody had put a few rivets in). "Oh no! No way! That other guy had one of those, and he sucked!"

Yeah, but you just said that I don't... Can I please pick my own equipment for my own sound, please? (It's a rhetorical question, boys; that's what I'm doing. Don't like my drums and cymbals? Then you don't like me.)

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:48 pm

As counterpoint, there was a local band bakinnaday whose drummer had this really specific thing he did with a China. Stupid punk stuff, but I thought it sounded cool. So I get going with this new drummer, he,s a jazz type, really too much drummer for what I was doing. But I see he's got this China, and my kneejerk is, "dude, you need to do that thing on yr China right here.". And his response is, "no, it's not for that. Listen to all these tones I can pull out of it." And kind of schooled me.
I mean, I've seen a guy with nothing but kick snare and floor tom bring it, and then I've got takes of that guy playing my melodies. So it's really just knowing how to use yr setup, not what yr setup is.
Village Idiot.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:It amazes me the proscriptions people feel entitled to put on drummers. I saw a CL ad a few years ago that said no Tama drums. Like they'd turn Stewart Copeland away if he showed up to audition for their shitty Craigslist band. I've never seen an ad that said no Gibsons or Marshalls.
Conversely, all these musos hat put their gear list in the ads, actually makes me want to say No Fenders, No Tweed amps, Peavey and Ibanez only :mrgreen:

Please also understand I enjoy bitching about drummers, only relative to the drummer I play with, my wife claims we're more like a married couple than she and I are :oops:

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:17 pm

>>>>So it's really just knowing how to use yr setup, not what yr setup is.<<<<

Hey now, NOW we're talking sense!

++++Please also understand...++++

Well, then I suppose we can be there for you... :lol:

GJ
Gregg Juke

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:04 am

Peavey + Ibanez could = parents got some good advice at the music store or serious/working musician.

I just realized I do have a "no sucking through a JC 120" rule, based on a single bad experience, although I'd never be so rude as to post it on CL. Mainly because it'd date me as being too old for CL in the first place.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:50 am

I been on the C/L this whole year, formed a band for 3 monthes and they decided to go covers so I quit, but all was in they 40's-50's.

Joined a cover band where they was in they 30's-50's.

Did a cuppla jam sessions with older guys - one guy was in his late 70's and had played with Nancy Sinatra, etc., and the other had owned a promotion company in the 70's-90's and toured a buncha big names. The former was a amazing jazz guitarist, and a hella teacher, too. Unfortunately both older guys was just looking for at-home jams, one with his posse and the other in his basement ProT recording studio that he didn't know how to use. :(

IOW, yeah, there's lotsa kids, but there's some prime-of-lifers, also (I'm 55 - a prime-of-lifer, see. :twisted: ).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:02 am

On the Scratch Perry front, I'm pretty good at rolling.
Ivan the Threadstopper

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:20 am

I'd like to see you do a few summersaults or one of those Beatles-era sideways downhill things first. Do you have a video compilation, or even a Vine or two?

Wow. Consider this thread seriously hi-jacked! ("You will now Take This Thread to Jamaica!!! Do NOT try to radio the tower; we are watching")...

GJ
Gregg Juke

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:32 am

i'll give you your cymbals back if you post only in the patois for the rest of this thread.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:07 pm

Nah, nah, Bumbaclot!! Buyaka Buyaka!!

Yah nah fi gi mi dem simbah det yah nah haf en de ferse playse! Yah tink ah likkel jyoke myake me den tink ya get me ree-yah simbah??

Me syay NAH!!!! Nah gon de' pen on y'asef fuh me simbah det I and I ahreddy gyot!
Duh politricks dem try fi plyay wen dem en da Bah-bee-law Sis-stem yaw! Ya myake me laff en laff!

Gya Jyeh
Gregg Juke

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:12 am

Boom-CRASH!

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.