RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
diy absorption

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Making A Space
View previous topic :: View next topic  
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: diy absorption Reply with quote

How effective is compressed insulation as an absorber? I'm thinking of making some 5" deep plywood frames with a backstop @ 2.5". Cloth wrapped tight across the face, then filled with unfaced R30. I seem to remember reading somewhere that a pegboard backstop increases bass absorption, or perhaps just use cloth there as well. How would an assembly like this compare to standard treatment?
This would be for a short term space I'm setting up, looking for economical solutions.
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: diy absorption Reply with quote

This will work ok, though probably not as well as 703 or 705.

Also, I would not use a backstop of pegboard or any kind of wood. This will reduce airflow through the trap which will reduce its effectiveness. You want as little of the insulation to be covered up (except with acoustically transparent cloth) as possible, including on the sides. This is why we mill holes in the sides of the metal frames on our traps. It increases the surface area, and therefore the effectiveness, of the trap.
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: diy absorption Reply with quote

What effect if any might compression have on performance? Obviously there's the same mass either way, but does density do anything?
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: diy absorption Reply with quote

Yes it will affect things. Compressing it can reduce its low frequency absorption performance. Details really depend on the material. Look it up before you do it.
mrc
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: diy absorption Reply with quote

Check out the 8lb/sqft. pressed Roxol against pressed fiberglass absorption specs. Loose fiberglass isn't very effective. Look to roxul safe and sound for loose insulation. It's about the same as 703 pressed board, but in a 3 inch thickness.
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: diy absorption Reply with quote

I used roxul 80 in my space, and am satisfied. The problem is that there's no place local that sells anything of this type, and shipping typically doubles the price. So Roxul for instance runs about $100 actual cost per bundle, plus framing and cloth. If a few $15 rolls of unfaced r30 can get me close enough for a temporary solution, I'd be happy.
The Bob Gold data doesn't directly touch on it, but seems to suggest thicker unfaced batts offer decent-ish performance. [/u]
mrc
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: diy absorption Reply with quote

Home Depot and Lowes both stock safe and sound. The 80 I used had to be delivered. I'm very pleased.
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: diy absorption Reply with quote

mrc wrote:
Home Depot and Lowes both stock safe and sound.

Not here.
mrc
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: diy absorption Reply with quote

Ask if you can get in store delivery free😀
Scodiddly
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: diy absorption Reply with quote

mrc wrote:
Ask if you can get in store delivery free😀

Definitely. If the chain carries it then you could maybe order it online through the store for free. You'd have to go pick it up at the store, but that's usually cheaper than having it shipped directly to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Making A Space All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: