Studio Quality (sort of) Prosumer Speakers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Wilson
studio intern

Studio Quality (sort of) Prosumer Speakers

Post by Wilson » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:08 pm

Hello Gang...

Are there any brands and models of prosumer speakers you feel comfortable monitoring thru in the studio?

Thank you all for your bits.
As in music, so in life

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:16 am

You might not have any responses yet, because the question as asked is a little vague, Wilson.

Can I surmise correctly that you want decent speakers, but don't have a lot of $$ to spend? Can you tell us more about your projects, their intended use/final audience, and exactly what the limit of your speaker budget might be? This will help in making recommendations. Today's tech has blurred the lines a bit between consumer, pro, and "prosumer," so it would probably be best to start with a budget...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:04 am

I've used a couple of different sets of consumer-targeted Tannoy DC's as studio monitors. Granted, they're not so different from Tannoy's pro speakers (I think the main difference is that the consumer ones get a nice wood veneer, while the studio ones get the gray epoxy paint). They're also priced right along with their pro speakers.

If you're looking for bargain speakers, there was a thread a couple weeks ago in which Jim Williams recommended a set of bookshelf speakers that ran like $65 a pair.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:55 pm

Old B&W 602s are a little pinched sounding but are far better than alot of cheap active "studio monitors" out there. Just get a cheap Adcom to run them with and yer done.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:21 am

I've got a pair of Tascam VL-A4 monitors that I'm pretty happy with. They've rebadged'em, but same same, as far as I understand.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:10 pm

JBL Control 1's are pretty outstanding. Use use the passives but they have an active model as well. Never fails to amaze me how great the low end response is on those little speakers.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:39 pm

My third speakers are Optimus 5's (first are 25 y.o. Tannoy 6.5PBMII's, secondary are Auratones) and they are pretty good.

I also check mixes on Optimus 4's (not in mix position), which are really good for checking the mids, like I think is meant when they say the NS10's are.

I'd go with what Jim Williams reco'd (as mentioned above) but I have to say I have the US$40 Monoprice MBS650's in my office and I actually think I could mix on 'em as near-fields, altho' I note I have them near a wall and so I plugged the ports ...

I also have some of the current Samson active 5" Mediaone speakers that I use in my remote set-up that have been awesome for that - loud, seem clear, under US$100, but I've only ever done monitor mixes on 'em.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:49 am

Don't know how good these are but they are US$60 on Stupid Deal of the Day deal, Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Wilson
studio intern

Post by Wilson » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:54 pm

Thank you guys for all your ideas.

Actually GJ I am experimenting with different speakers. I am starting to do sound for radio and TV commercials and some film post. I have a pair of Yamaha HS80M that do the job so far. I don't mind paying 200-300 bucks for a pair of speakers.
As in music, so in life