RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Mix with me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listen to My Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Mix with me Reply with quote

Aiight, I posted some multi-tracks at Mix-Off, here, of my choon, "The Center of Attention".

If you care to indulge ...
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Aiight, one egregious timing error as I listen today: at about 30.5 seconds there is a extra .264 beat.  This is what happens sometimes when I adopt a drum two-mix.

It's also what happens in real-world mixing situations.  So, you need to cut that much from each track, what is easy enuff, but make sure you shift the cut so as not to lose the attack of any bass note or drum beat.

Also, there is a egregious timing error in the guitars at about 2:02.4, where you need to just move the notes back at the point. This is what happens when ya play it quick and sloppy!  

Anywhat, here
is my (fixt) mix, and below is what my mix "looks" like.

Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Stand byyy..... gimme till middle of next week for a mix.

Flying to Fla tomorrow, and only saw this today.

Cheers
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Have a good trip. Cool

I look forward to hearing what you do with this mess!
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Was tempted to give it a go, but the forum there rejected my registration, insisting that I am spam.

Any chance you can upload tracks somewhere else that I can access?
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

No problem!

Here.

And for sompin' completely different, here! Laughing
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Got 'em, thanks. No guarantees I'll get to this but it will be fun to try....
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Let's see how you like this ruff:\

http://soundcloud.com/nick-53-1/center-of-attention-nicks

Fun song. Messy playing... Wink
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Yeah, kinda demo-y on the performance.

I look forward to hearing this later today!
joninc
carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

i like the idea of sharing tracks and having different perspectives on a mix.

but - are there no overhead mics?

these mixes sound like they just have gated kick and snare and come across really unnatural because of that
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Nick - love it! I've never really tried such a strong vocal treatment - I especially like it the BV's and their edits. The room placement is awesome, love the guitars. Don't know if you picked up what I thought of as the Stonesy vibe, but the guitars certainly have it yer mix. Is the reverb the .9 to 1.2 room you wrote about in the other thread yesterday? Cool Cool Cool

Last edited by vvv on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

joninc - the drums were a random 2-mix I downloaded somewhere. The original file format was *.ogg which is pretty lo-fi at 80kbps. Whatever they were from, they had some nasty bass bleed so I was forced to gate them some, but the sound is basically whatever the original mix was. The attraction of them, BTW, was that the tempo speeds up, what I love.

This is kind of embarrassing because the drum track was cut-n-paste edited by me and the whole thing is rather sloppy. I did it quickly because the Mixoff website had not had any real rock songs posted in some time. That said, there's been no interest there, altho' WRC at Lostoverture sent me a nice, clean mix similar to mine but drier, downplaying my odd vocal "a-a-a-all" tick where Nick accented it.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

vvv wrote:
Nick - love it! I've never really tried such a strong vocal treatment - I especially like it the BV's and their edits. The room placement is awesome, love the guitars. Don't know if you picked up what I thought of as the Stonesy vibe, but the guitars certainly have it yer mix. Is the reverb the .9 to 1.2 room you wrote about in the other thread yesterday? Cool Cool Cool

Yep, that is it. I don't use presets, but usually somewhere in 0.7 to 1.3 S land there is a magic place. And using the right pre delay is key.

I mixed with the vocal up the whole time, so I ended up muting some of the guitar licks under the vocal. They simply did not work well with the vocal, but around it they were great.

I did edit the f%^k out of it. The entire first 8 bars were like a train wreck, even the loop was loopy. This is how you get that punchy sound. I did leave some things loose, just not as loose as you played them... LOL.

Cheers
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

PS I loved the vocal performance. There is simply not enough of this sort of stuff out there, and is mainly why I mixed this for you. Very off the cuff, not caring if you hit the note or not, but emotional. Keep that up.

Cheers
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mix with me Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the mix, and thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listen to My Stuff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: