MXR 147 - graphic eq for studio work?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

MXR 147 - graphic eq for studio work?

Post by joninc » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Anybody know anything about these units? Are they still used by anybody? Its the same freq points as the API graphics but I am sure not in the same league components wise. It's all RCA ins and outs.

Curious if anybody uses them, mods them or knows what they are worth or good for...
the new rules : there are no rules

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:34 am

I have a couple here, 15 and 31 band. I rebuilt them with new opamps, filter caps and a new power supply. They are excellent and are very high quality.

Mine are direct coupled, no caps. They can create complex EQ curves a parametric won't because you will eventually run out of bands.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:40 pm

thanks Jim. What kind of things do you use them on - mix buss? drum buss?
the new rules : there are no rules

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:02 am

I don't do mix buss EQ here, EQ is applied locally to tracks only. These are used for complex fixin'.

Occassionally I get a turkey track that needs some "corrction". These will do that. General gentle EQ is applied with the analog console EQ here.

I also have a DOD R-831 31 band graphic. This one is unique as it is modified to have + - 30 db adjustment range. 30 db of EQ boost is far more than most have ever heard. A 60 db gain adjustment EQ can fix just about anything. Fortunately, I rarely need to use it.

Graphics are the forgotten analog EQ. Very powerful tools. Avoid newer designs for getting sounds. They are called "constant Q" designs, a bandpass filter in place of gyrators. Older designs work best. Avoid Rane, dbx, Yamaha, etc. The gyrators extrapolate the EQ curves into a smooth response. Contant Q designs will all have a "nipple" it the band center, you cannot get a smooth curve with those. They are designed for notching resonances.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades