Tascam 244 - any believers out there?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Banana Crotchbuckle
takin' a dinner break

Tascam 244 - any believers out there?

Post by Banana Crotchbuckle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:22 pm

So now that I've moved to the sticks, there are a dearth of techs and now I gotta do this stuff myself.

Got a 244 off craigslist, replaced ALL the rubber with new parts and now I've established that I've got a channel that's always on (2) on both cue and mix.
The track will record but won't erase either, even with plenty of demagging and hand-wringing.

This problem sound familiar to anyone?
Would really like to get back into cassette 4-tracking and this is not helping...
Also not helping is a lot of knocking coming from the idler wheels I have just re-rubbered - this normal for this model? This is my first 244
thanks all
i 've got my own map, sucker

Aitor
audio school graduate

Post by Aitor » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:20 pm

Hello,
I am not a technician, nothing near, but I repaired two 244 months ago, after a big battle (of course nothing serious but I had no idea of what I was doing :) )

I recommend following the path of that channel and clean every connection you can imagine could be involved. You can remove easily the dbx card to access the channels, even swap that one with other to see if the problem is in there...
Use some compressed air spray (with care, some of them can really turn the tascam into pieces :) ) and a good contact cleaner.

Take a look at the eraser head too, follow the path until that center block where both heads are connected, and clean well that pins, but try to be always very careful with the connections on the back of the heads, if you break one of them, you have to replace the whole head.

The knocking of the idler wheels is not good. Should be really smooth.

And always, TAKE PICTURES OF EVERY STEP.

Have you seen this webpage?
http://www.mzentertainment.com/studio_w ... m_244.html

hope it helps...

Banana Crotchbuckle
takin' a dinner break

Post by Banana Crotchbuckle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:31 pm

Hey hey Aitor - thanks for the tip, will do so. I have deoxit'd everything I could get close to, but I guess need to get deeper. On your 244, was there a stray jumper coming off the first channel? There is one on mine but nothing to seat it into. I guess I have to take the idler off again I suppose.

That 244 page is exactly the same resource I used to learn to get into that thing and replace the rubber! What a handy thing it is...
i 've got my own map, sucker

Aitor
audio school graduate

Post by Aitor » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Yes, there is a jumper going nowhere, I can't remember what for... dbx adjustment?
Anyway it is fine...