RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Smiths Marr "I Know it's Over" acoustic guitar rec

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buenavista
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Smiths Marr "I Know it's Over" acoustic guitar rec Reply with quote

I just think the sound of the acoustic guitar on this track is terrific. It sits back in the mix but has a very distinct yet mellow presence. There is a lot of silent space in this track which I think helps. And the acoustic is not fighting for spectrum at all. Just wondering if anyone out there might have an insight on recording/mixing techniques that might have been used. . . . BTW the vocal phrasing and delivery on this song is just superb.
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiths Marr "I Know it's Over" acoustic guitar rec Reply with quote

I don't hear anything unusual or special. Sounds like there was judicious use of a high pass filter to make plenty of space underneath for other stuff. I think it's mostly about the arrangement & the performance.

The acoustic doesn't sound particularly hi fi to me; it could have been recorded with just a 57 or something. No idea if that's true but bottom line it should be pretty easy to reproduce the sound of this guitar if you get the arrangement right.
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiths Marr "I Know it's Over" acoustic guitar rec Reply with quote

Oh interesting:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/see-new-video-for-jeff-buckleys-smiths-cover-i-know-its-over-20160211
joninc
carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiths Marr "I Know it's Over" acoustic guitar rec Reply with quote

Sounds like a sdc to me. Maybe a km84 or something.

Hard to say for sure though.
RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Smiths Marr "I Know it's Over" acoustic guitar rec Reply with quote

There's this SOS article about recording the title track.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/articles/classictracks.htm

No mention of "...Over" but it's an interesting read none the less.
buenavista
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Smiths Marr "I Know it's Over" acoustic guitar rec Reply with quote

That Buckley video is a great counterpoint as far as the sound of the acoustic guitar, or maybe I should say the presentation. The magic is in the raw performance, not the recording. I suppose it's appropriate for the situation though, just a dude with his voice and guitar.

Lately I've been a sucker for 80's production. All those delay based effects to excess. That acoustic guitar on "I know is over" is so fluffy it almost sounds like there is a touch of chorus on it. Just love it.

But you're right JWL, I think it's mostly about arrangement and performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: