2-Track Machine for Mixing Down/Mastering from Tascam 238

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

0wl
pluggin' in mics

2-Track Machine for Mixing Down/Mastering from Tascam 238

Post by 0wl » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:29 am

So I've been recording to my Tascam 238 for a few weeks now. It sounds awesome but I realize now that the heads really needs to be aligned. Tracks are playing back at improper volumes, edge tracks are lacking in quality. etc.

BIG PROBLEM THOUGH is that apparently if the heads are pretty far out of alignment, the tapes you've recorded with the machine won't playback properly once the heads are aligned. I have a few recording that I really don't want to lose, so the tech suggested I transfer them to another machine before I have the service done.

So I feel that this is a good time to invest in a good quality OTB mixdown machine. I've considered a cassette 2-track, a genuine reel to reel (I'd prefer not to go down that rabbit hole but I'm open to the suggestion), or even an S-VHS HiFi VCR (I've read positive things about their sound).

Can anybody weigh on on these different options? Thanks!

Teacher's Pet
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Teacher's Pet » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:56 pm

You can probably experiment with the VHS option after investing about $5 at your local thrift store.

Just make sure it says "hi-fi" on there, and that it has stereo RCA ins and outs.

You could probably score one of these machines for free if you look around.

0wl
pluggin' in mics

Post by 0wl » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:23 pm

I've actually already got a "HiFi" VCR. After making my post I was thinking, "gee I should really just try it out instead of wondering/talking about it since I already have one."

If I don't like the sound I'll just go over to the dark side and mixdown to a free DAW like Audacity. I've got a decent older interface laying around somewhere.

Thanks!

0wl
pluggin' in mics

Post by 0wl » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:43 pm

I didn't have any blank VHS tapes so I just recorded over an old movie. Sounded pretty decent!

My plan now is to find some high quality new/sealed tapes on craigslist or something and record what I've got onto those. Hopefully that'll sound a bit better than recording on top of "Lonesome Dove" (lol). My recordings so far are low low low fi so I honestly don't think I'll notice much quality degradation. Then I can comfortably let my tech realign those heads and I'll be on my way towards making more recordings that sound like a thick, scratchy wool sweater!

If anyone else has any tips regarding VHS recording, I'm all ears! Like are S-VHS players.tapes worth it? I've always wondered.

Thanks.

-0wl

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:38 pm

There've been a few threads about this over the years. The tidbit I remember sticking out was that some swore you got better sound if you also recorded picture. Which might be a bit more difficult since the end of analog broadcasts.
Village Idiot.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:27 am