Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:36 pm

(I didn't post this in the gear forum, because it's more about setting the mood and otherwise enabling the recording process.)

I take my lava lamps seriously. None of 'em you can get now are as good as I remember them being in the late 70's, what I think is because they changed the contents and use thicker glass, etc.

But still, I usually have one on when recording - if only for something to look at while listening to playback, or rendering, etc.

I also have rope-lights strung around the bedio that come on when I light up the power-strips for the amps.

I've been known to throw a bandanna over a lamp.

And I have desktop and clamp-lamps all over on shelves and monitors, etc., for localized lighting when the room is darkened but I hafta change that tube, find that pedal, or whatever. I prefer reg'lar bulbs, but do have one of those curly shites on the light that's used just as a room light because it's on the most.

There are six such lights, and three 20' ropes (one each of purple, blue and white) in this little space.

How do y'all light yer fires?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:51 am

Yup, the studio has got to have a lava lamp! My co-host and I were pre-recording our weekly eclectic music program for the local community radio station. After the fourth time we flubbed our voice-overs (on our intro theme music, fer cryin' out loud) we realized we had not switched on the lava lamp...once it was on, the rest of the show went smoothly. ;-)
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:29 am

I've got cats, so my lava lamp cannot be in my studio. I do have a floor lamp with coloured 'party' bulbs in it, and a a half dozen strings of xmas lights which I can plug in to the sockets on the overhead lights and turn them off (they all have a string pull).

I also picked up a couple of strings of LED lights after xmas, which I need to figure out what to do with. :mrgreen:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:12 am

I'm more of a trinkets and bobbles type, myself. All the studio lighting are lamps and its never too bright. On both the console peter bridge and out in the live room on top of the difussor there are toys, action figures, lunchboxes and even a small version of the "major award" leg lamp.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:43 am

Ha! I have tchotchkes, also.

Mine are skulls and skeletons.

See the little skeleton riding the locomotive my kid made? It's important to involve yer children in yer our madness!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:43 am

no lava lamps here. 3 paper lanterns (i think that's what they're called?) overhead, a couple big lamps, xmas lights behind the abosorbers in front and the diffusor in back.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:00 pm

Wow, that's kind of Ikea meets Star Trek. So sparse. Is that purely a solo project area? (Or should I say sulu project :mrgreen:)
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:14 pm

hahahaha i was about to defensively say there's nothing ikea in MY studio, but shit, no....there's an expedit holding my old tapes and records.

other than that though, everything's handmade.

it's a mastering room by day/ MSE fantasy world by night.

it's sparse on purpose. clutter is the enemy.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:27 pm

It wasn't a criticism, it was just vey blonde woody was all.

Yeah it makes sense as a mastering space, uncluttered, very centered.

Is that a projection screen behind the sofa and acoustic diffusor panel?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:32 pm

I've got two lava lamps at The Sonic Vault; one in the CR and one in the main tracking room. I have green, but I want some red (which always seem sold-out when I do find some on sale somewhere). It's like the only thing left on the shelves these days, when any are there at all, is that "puke yellow" color that nobody seems to want...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:26 pm

more space echo that is a beautiful space. i am also a minimalist. i love what you've done with the place.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:45 pm

thank you!
Drone wrote:It wasn't a criticism, it was just vey blonde woody was all.
yeah, i like my pecan satin stain hahaha.
Is that a projection screen behind the sofa and acoustic diffusor panel?
nope. you mean the shiny bits on either side of the poly diffusor, right? i have a big piece of brushed aluminum on the back of my door, i had some leftover pieces which i stuck up there. because shiny things are pretty!

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:47 am

I'm partial to the lit globe.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:13 am

roscoenyc wrote:I'm partial to the lit globe.
Sounds, like, cosmic.
:twisted:

But lemme say, my fave studio lights?

Them little ones at the power switches and in the peak and VU meters!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:28 am

My least favorite studio lights are blue LEDs. My monitors have one and they're tiny but still somehow burn straight through my eyes. I had to cover them up.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."