RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregg Juke
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

Yes, VERY Cool ! Sco, you are a true renaissance man, if ever there was one. I wish I could afford to have you make me a couple of mikes, a custom tape deck, some of those lamps, and some chain mail armor. I shall have to suffice with viewing your beautiful creations in cyberspace...

GJ
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "
MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

yeah, that's badass scodiddly.
Scodiddly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

vvv wrote:
Ver' Cool !

What is the lens material?

Local stained glass artist helped me on that part. Smile

Thanks for the compliments, everybody! Love all the ideas I'm seeing in this thread.
Scodiddly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

BTW, Costo sells an awesome LED "shop light" that kicks the butt of most 4' fluorescent fixtures (output and quality of light, also dead silent) for $30. My current project is a paper-lined frame to cover one of those lights.
Snarl 12/8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

What's the color temperature? I'm always on the lookout for bright, warm LED's these days.

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.
Scodiddly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
What's the color temperature? I'm always on the lookout for bright, warm LED's these days.

I haven't seen a number anywhere, but to me it looks on the warm end of the spectrum. I really like the one I set up over my workbench.
drumsound
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

Scodiddly wrote:
I don't have a studio, though I do have a house nowadays. 3-4 years ago I got back into woodworking, and needed more lights for my apartment. Also I was taking regular evening walks that included the back parking lot of the high school along the trail, right by the dumpster where the wood shop threw away their scraps. Some nice wood in that dumpster, rarely anything big but lots of oak, cherry, walnut, etc. So I started piecing things together from various scraps, which definitely got me into that "art from limitations" thing.

Those are beautiful. Nice work.
SARA QUAH PLEDGE PAGE
WWRTBD?
Scodiddly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

Scodiddly wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:

I haven't seen a number anywhere, but to me it looks on the warm end of the spectrum. I really like the one I set up over my workbench.

Update - those Costco 4' LED lights say 4000K on the back.
Scodiddly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

Of course if you can only find bright white LEDs and want warm white...

https://www.rosco.com/filters/cinegel.cfm
dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

Late to the party, but those floor lamps are lovely. Really nicely done! Love the controls on the bottom Very Happy
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

Looks like it's not just Costco doing LED shop lights around $30, weirdly this was not under LED but under strip lights.

http://www.menards.com/main/maintenance-repair-operations/lighting-electrical/lighting/fluorescent-commercial-lights/smart-electrician-white-3300-lumen-led-shop-light/p-1444423574927-c-7495.htm?tid=-4220302964416138037

Home Depot etc. likely have some too.
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

Lowe's has them too, as well as dual and 24" versions. Can these be fully enclosed w/o shortening the lifespan?
Drone
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

Bit more research, you can buy just the tubes to convert current lights. There are some that fit in without any conversion, and some that require you to bypass the starter / ballast. Starting about $6 - 7 per tube Mr. Green
mrc
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

While nothing like Scodiddly's creation, I found an electro plasma light in a lava lamp style last year. Everyone loves it, and even single coil pups don't react to it, but the body rings just enough it has to be turned off when the condensers are on. Most people don't notice it until I point it out when they are checking it out up close.
Scodiddly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Of lava lamps and other mood-making illuminates Reply with quote

floid wrote:
Lowe's has them too, as well as dual and 24" versions. Can these be fully enclosed w/o shortening the lifespan?

Always a good question with LED lighting. It does generate some heat but doesn't like to be hot. A lot of people have written off LED bulbs because they put them in enclosed can fixtures and burned them out. These LED "fluorescent" tubes spread the heat out over a larger area so they don't tend to have as much of a problem.

In my lanterns I ended up putting in pretty big heatsinks and leaving some cracks top and bottom for a little air flow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: