Michael Daves - Orchids and Violence out on Nonesuch

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Michael Daves - Orchids and Violence out on Nonesuch

Post by mwerden » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:12 pm

So I guess you're supposed to post stuff like this before the album release shows. But I'm a dummy so I didn't. Nonetheless, here I am!

Anyway, a little over a year ago I recorded an amazing bluegrass band in a beautiful sounding chapel in Brooklyn. Michael Daves, Noam Pikelny, Tony Trischka, Brittney Haas, Sarah Jarosz, Mike Bub, plus some other guests. Four track tape, only a few mics, just generally awesome.

The interesting twist to this project is that Michael then recorded the same set of songs in a more electric noisy 90s sludge fashion. Both sides mixed by Vance Powell in Nashville and finally out on Nonesuch. Check it out, bonus cameo by me in the background of the video at the bottom:

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/michael ... 2016-02-26
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:31 am

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

transmothra
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Michael Daves - Orchids and Violence out on Nonesuch

Post by transmothra » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:52 pm

Holy crap, that's cool! I like the sludgy versions best, but that's just my taste. Sounds really great though - nice and clear mix. Songs translate strangely well across versions.
...do you believe that?

jeremyjarratt.com | bandcamp | soundcloud