RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Canterbury scene and other 70s progressive rock

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Canterbury scene and other 70s progressive rock Reply with quote

What are your favorite progressive albums, outside the obvious groups (Yes, King Crimson, early Genesis, etc.)?

Just listened to Queues and Cures by National Health and it was good. Looking for more along those lines.
Gregg Juke
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Canterbury scene and other 70s progressive rock Reply with quote

I like National Health. Not from Canterbury, but I dig Crack the Sky. Pop-y, of course, but the first Asia album is good. ELP, of course. Early Marillion. A group from near me that had one album out on CBS: 805. Some Pink Floyd. Bill Bruford's solo excursions. A group from Canada called FM. Some of Mike Rutherford's solo material. Anything by U.K. Spock's Beard is quite alright...

GJ
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "
Gregg Juke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Canterbury scene and other 70s progressive rock Reply with quote

Alan Parsons Project.

GJ

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "
shedshrine
george martin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Canterbury scene and other 70s progressive rock Reply with quote

Here's a great resource for bands and album reviews of the Canterbury Scene

Free Hand, Octopus, Glass House, The Power and the Glory. Lot's of great albums from this band. And you probably already know of CAN..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Canterbury scene and other 70s progressive rock Reply with quote

How could I forget Gentle Giant? Great group. Focus too...

GJ

Magnetic Services
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Canterbury scene and other 70s progressive rock Reply with quote

Soft Machine and Camel. Pretty different from each other, but both part of that scene I believe. As for other stuff... Happy the Man, UK, Bo Hansonn, ELP, Mike Oldfield, Atlas, Can, Utopia, Triumvirat, Univers Zero, Samla Mammas Manna ... I'm sure I'll think of 20 more after posting this. Check out progarchives.com.
Zacharia Matilda
ass engineer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Canterbury scene and other 70s progressive rock Reply with quote

Hawkwind/Hawklords!!

+1 on Can
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Canterbury scene and other 70s progressive rock Reply with quote

+1 on pretty much all the bands listed in this thread so far. Smile
JWL
deaf.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Canterbury scene and other 70s progressive rock Reply with quote

This is really cool, it has an entire section on the Canterbury scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6uWZpIiMY&list=PLbtdMRHHwfqMlUi8uxwIOG8W1vqNYosLN
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: