RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Industrial

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Industrial Reply with quote

Besides Throbbing Gristle, what else should I be checking out, re: Industrial?
RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Industrial Reply with quote

It's kind of a wide subject and what is considered Industrial can sometimes be controversial. A quick answer that pops into my mind is Einsturzende Neubauten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd-SpXJ3ops
kslight
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Industrial Reply with quote

Depends on if you are after electro dance-ish type (typically called EBM), rock-ish type, or literally industrial.

Skinny Puppy, Nitzer Ebb, Frontline Assembly, Front 242...all good places to start for first type

NIN, KMFDM, Pig, Ministry, Gary Numan, Pigface...second type. There have been a few radio type acts in this genre but most are more of a gateway drug than anything really worth listening to. Trent Reznor could certainly fall a bit into that category but the difference is whether or not everything he does is particularly amazing he does it better than most and is undeniably gifted as a songwriter in general (as opposed to just the world of bloops and bleeps and guitars).

Einsturzende Neubauten is a good example of third type

Certainly countless others out there, that'll give you something to skim through though. Just look at what's out on Metropolis Records (present), or Wax Trax/TVT (past).
RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Industrial Reply with quote

I will also add that I'm a big fan of Coil, although I don't know if they're considered Industrial. They are a degree separate from Throbbing Gristle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtkGjoRrc9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60xxnwKqb4c
variableD
ass engineer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Industrial Reply with quote

Thanks!
floid
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Industrial Reply with quote

If you like TG, they were contemporary to Cabaret Voltaire
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Industrial Reply with quote

On the more commercial side, Stabbing Westward, and sometimes Ministry (who started out a synth-pop dance band), were often called industrial. Revolting Cocks a/k/a Revco, could fit, and, to me, Big Black had the mechanical beats and noise thing down tho' they weren't called "industrial".

BTW, all Chicago or Chicago-tied bands ...

Wax Trax was a local label hadda lotta industrial stuff ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Listening to Other Music All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: