Industrial

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

variableD
ass engineer

Industrial

Post by variableD » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:19 am

Besides Throbbing Gristle, what else should I be checking out, re: Industrial?

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:31 am

It's kind of a wide subject and what is considered Industrial can sometimes be controversial. A quick answer that pops into my mind is Einsturzende Neubauten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd-SpXJ3ops
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:57 am

Depends on if you are after electro dance-ish type (typically called EBM), rock-ish type, or literally industrial.

Skinny Puppy, Nitzer Ebb, Frontline Assembly, Front 242...all good places to start for first type

NIN, KMFDM, Pig, Ministry, Gary Numan, Pigface...second type. There have been a few radio type acts in this genre but most are more of a gateway drug than anything really worth listening to. Trent Reznor could certainly fall a bit into that category but the difference is whether or not everything he does is particularly amazing he does it better than most and is undeniably gifted as a songwriter in general (as opposed to just the world of bloops and bleeps and guitars).

Einsturzende Neubauten is a good example of third type

Certainly countless others out there, that'll give you something to skim through though. Just look at what's out on Metropolis Records (present), or Wax Trax/TVT (past).

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:16 am

I will also add that I'm a big fan of Coil, although I don't know if they're considered Industrial. They are a degree separate from Throbbing Gristle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtkGjoRrc9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60xxnwKqb4c
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

variableD
ass engineer

Post by variableD » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks!

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:31 am

If you like TG, they were contemporary to Cabaret Voltaire
Village Idiot.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:21 am

On the more commercial side, Stabbing Westward, and sometimes Ministry (who started out a synth-pop dance band), were often called industrial. Revolting Cocks a/k/a Revco, could fit, and, to me, Big Black had the mechanical beats and noise thing down tho' they weren't called "industrial".

BTW, all Chicago or Chicago-tied bands ...

Wax Trax was a local label hadda lotta industrial stuff ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.