Tascam 388 + patchbay question (phantom power)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mjt335
alignin' 24-trk

Tascam 388 + patchbay question (phantom power)

Post by mjt335 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:54 pm

I'm getting ready to inherit a patchbay from my brother and have been researching how to hook it up to my 388. I've read the thread by j.harv and that sums up exactly what I plan to do. I'll use the channel insert jacks on a half-normal patchbay, which is essentially just like extending the channel inserts around to the front of my rack.

I'll probably use the patchbay primarily for various compressors that I've got, but I also thought about using it for various preamps as well. My question is this: can I use the phantom power from one of these preamps that's patched through the PB/inserts in the event that I'm tracking with a condenser mic? I'm guessing not, but wanted to double check with all the kind TapeOp'ers that are smarter than me.

Assuming that I'm correct, I'll probably plan to leave my pre's unpatched and just run them in front of my snake when necessary.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:03 pm

I'm guessing you know the 388 doesn't supply phantom. If you want to use a condenser, plug your mic into the phantom equipped pre of your choice, and the output of that into the return on the 388, or the line in.

mjt335
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mjt335 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Yeah, it was a stupid question in hindsight. Thanks for the reply though!